gen 1 crunching gears
how can I stop it from crunching gears? its mainly in 5 & 6. gen 1 2004 30000 klms.
When you find out, let me know..(5th to 6th, Gen 2 with 5000kms).
Especially when getting over a broken ankle.
Only things that come to mind are... .

might need service, new oils always make them shift cleaner

micro adjust lever to suit you so you are getting a good positive upshift

I occasionally get false neutrals from 5th - 6th but that cause I am to friggin lazy to change properly LOL
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
I found i reduced the false shifts in my old gen 1 by firming up the footpeg bracket rubbers , they were flexing as i shifted and sometimes meant i did not move my foot enough for a clean shift
removed the rubber washers on either side of the peg bracket mounts and replaced them with similar diameter steel washers , still enough rubber for vibration damping but much less movement
I've just received my Buell footpegs, so I'll have a crack at fitting them this weekend and as mentioned, micro adjust the shifter.
I suspect it is a bit of laziness, but strange how its always 5th / 6th change..
I should clarify that mines not crunching, mines finding a false neutral as Tony eluded to, and then grinding as I'm trying to engage a gear....
Also seems to do it when its labouring a little, not when I'm up it....probably trying for 6th a little early.
I used to find on my gen 1 that it crunched a bit at lower revs. I fixed this by revving it out a bit more. Be careful though, as high revs in 5th may result in flashing blue lights in the mirror Scary
I think you will find high revs in 5th there won't be much of importance in the rear view mirror. The horizon might get close very quick tho.

As far as shifting goes. Good solid shift with correctly adjusted shifter should help
Regards

Dan
I believe the bikes shift better at higher speeds...Mr Suzuki should insist the boys in blue allow this worldwide.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast