Something NQR
I know I've been quiet but I've been lurking with not much to say as the bike hasn't had an airing for a while due to illness and bad weather.

Back to the subject....

Yesterday a guy pulled into my supermarket's carpark on a CBR.

The bike looked like a Tonka toy underneath him because he was huge.

Open face helmet and long white beard, sneakers, jeans and a flannelette shirt.

As he got off a guy in a ute next to him asked about the bike.

"Scares the shit out of me and I can't find the gears" said the obvious Harley fanatic.

Was it brain damage from the open face helmet that made him ride the crotch rocket without any protective gear whatsoever?

I'm new to Darwin, but I'm still amazed at the amount of riders wearing shorts/t-shirts/thongs. No shit at all, it would be at least half the riders are like this!
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
This was in South Eastern Victoria and not a very warm day at all. In fact I had my winter woollies and a jacket on in the car.
SQUIDS!
Can SQUIDS be in their 40's? I guess they can.
Had to find out what a SQUID was Embarassed

1. Squid
A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

2. squid
An extremely rare animal with a short lifespan. Usually a new sport bike enthusiast with the reasoning of a lunatic, whom you might see thrashing on an R1 wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee.
When found lying motionless on the pavement, this creature transforms itself into a stream of blood, exposed flesh, and broken limbs. Hence the squid moniker.

Stupid
Quick
Underdressed
Imminently
Dead

Pi_freak

have to admit to being a SQUID in my youth.... yesturday can be classed as youth right?? Lol2

BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
(13-01-2013, 05:28pm)PostmanPete Wrote: I'm new to Darwin, but I'm still amazed at the amount of riders wearing shorts/t-shirts/thongs. No shit at all, it would be at least half the riders are like this!

Who cares? Its not your body. What else do we ban, free-climbing rock faces (slips and falls), surfing (sharks), parachute jumping (parachute failures)?

There are too many bloody busy-bodies these days, wanting to interfere in other peoples lives. I can only think its the OHS crap that gets peddled at work these days. Don't think that is about saving lives either; it is only to satisfy the insurance company.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
(15-01-2013, 09:16pm)Belzybob Wrote:
(13-01-2013, 05:28pm)PostmanPete Wrote: I'm new to Darwin, but I'm still amazed at the amount of riders wearing shorts/t-shirts/thongs. No shit at all, it would be at least half the riders are like this!

Who cares? Its not your body. What else do we ban, free-climbing rock faces (slips and falls), surfing (sharks), parachute jumping (parachute failures)?

There are too many bloody busy-bodies these days, wanting to interfere in other peoples lives. I can only think its the OHS crap that gets peddled at work these days. Don't think that is about saving lives either; it is only to satisfy the insurance company.

I would be curious to see if you would change this attitude after having an off in T-shirt and shorts and no gloves. Just look at the photos after Skidmark came off at moderate speed dressed in similar fashion Pi_thumbsdown
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(15-01-2013, 09:16pm)Belzybob Wrote: Who cares? Its not your body. What else do we ban, free-climbing rock faces (slips and falls), surfing (sharks), parachute jumping (parachute failures)?

There are too many bloody busy-bodies these days, wanting to interfere in other peoples lives.

In a way I tend to agree with you about too much legislation, but whatever happened to common sense?

Riding without safety gear is like rock climbing without a harness and who would ever think to parachute jump without a chute?

If you come off you will get hurt, everyone is well aware of that but any sensible person should minimize the risk.

We shouldn't need laws against stupidity.

I couldn't agree more that we should all be able to do anything we like, including wearing what ever you like. But I don't want my money to have to pay for squids and other to be patched and put back together by using TAC funds, insurance pay outs etc. By all means do what ever the fxxxx you like, but be responsible for you own actions. Every time some steel skin has an accident we all have to pay. Not to mention the attraction it draws to the legislators who then make us all have to wear fluoro vests and armour. It should be a case of 'your choice - but you pay'. Not just put your hand out and expect the rest of us to pay to stick your skin back on.
Thumbsdown 
OFF TOPIC...
but insurances really piss me off Pi_freak
I have 2 trailers, 2 cars and a bike, each of which has the compuslory MAIB insurance as part of rego costs.. on top of that each also has private insurance... I am paying a couple of grand each year!!!!!!!

How about be fair, place individual compuslory vehicle insurance with a licenced operator insurance.. swapping 5 lots of MAIB of a single one on my licence would make me very happy and any vehicle I am licenced to operate would be covered.
Then all I need to do is insure each vehicle for extras with private insurance...
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
(16-01-2013, 07:30am)CaptainRob Wrote: I couldn't agree more that we should all be able to do anything we like, including wearing what ever you like. But I don't want my money to have to pay for squids and other to be patched and put back together by using TAC funds, insurance pay outs etc. By all means do what ever the fxxxx you like, but be responsible for you own actions. Every time some steel skin has an accident we all have to pay. Not to mention the attraction it draws to the legislators who then make us all have to wear fluoro vests and armour. It should be a case of 'your choice - but you pay'. Not just put your hand out and expect the rest of us to pay to stick your skin back on.

On the same line if everyone wishes to enforce their standard for life on others then I am not paying for some lard arse to have their heart put right after years of abuse. So your better cut in take and get your runners out if you want your heart fixed or pay for it your self.
(16-01-2013, 09:53am)Batfink Wrote: OFF TOPIC...
but insurances really piss me off Pi_freak
I have 2 trailers, 2 cars and a bike, each of which has the compuslory MAIB insurance as part of rego costs.. on top of that each also has private insurance... I am paying a couple of grand each year!!!!!!!

How about be fair, place individual compuslory vehicle insurance with a licenced operator insurance.. swapping 5 lots of MAIB of a single one on my licence would make me very happy and any vehicle I am licenced to operate would be covered.
Then all I need to do is insure each vehicle for extras with private insurance...

Can't agree more Tony .. Pi_thumbsup. CTP insurance should be part of our licence, not on EVERY vehicle we own. We can ONLY drive / ride ONE vehicle at a time.

Problem is, the govt will miss out on tax revenue, so it won't happen ..