seeking advice on modifying hump
I'm looking at leaving the grabrail on my K8 and fitting the hump. Have any of you done this mod and if so any pointers would be nice.

Cheers, Johnny.
My right hand controls my destiny.
was an easy mod on the old models but i'm pretty sure theres not enough meat/ room to do it on the new 08/09 as the grab rail isnt in the same position now & it may look a bit strange with the cut away

shane
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
I did it on my gen 1 but the gen 2 has a different height for the lock and mount plate under the hump, not making it easy or practical.
Johnny,

Gen 1 is easy. While you are at it why dont you also make a hatch in the base plate so you can get additional storage?

Grab rail Mod; (GEN 1 MODEL ONLY)
Tools; Marker, ruler, hack saw, pliers, file, knife
1. place hump in position on top of grab rail and mark edges with pen
2. Measure height of rail from top of ducktail to get depth of cut in hump. (These measurements are only approx as they will "move" when you start to fit the tail).
3. Double check the position of the front cutting line.
4. Cut the front vertical with the hacksaw to about 2/3 the depth you think you will need.
5. Cut the back vertical "short" of where you think you need it (to 2/3 depth)
6. Score the paint from the front to rear vertical cuts.
7. With the pliers nip out the unwanted plastic by bending it back and forward along its entire length. Alternatively if you have a small rotary cutter (dremmel tool) use it to cut out the unwanted plastic.
8. Trial fit (it should now "fit" better allowing you to redraw the back and depth cutting lines).
9. Redo cut the rear vertical cuts as required and rescore the paint work to the required depth - the hump fits "proud" of the base so take this into account). This is reiterative process.
10. Nip out additional plastic if required.
11. File plastic for close fits and to smooth edges (file from the outside to the inside to avoid "splitting" the paint).
12. You should end up with a notch about 5 mm clearance front to back and up to 5mm for the depth. The slots will probably not be concentric on each side.

Hope this helps

Steventh
johnnydolittle Wrote:I'm looking at leaving the grabrail on my K8 and fitting the hump. Have any of you done this mod and if so any pointers would be nice.

Cheers, Johnny.

Found this on EBC . You may need to register to view it.

GEN 11 HUMP MOD

Lots of nice pictures too...
Photobucket
Hi,
Great pics.

On gen 1s you dont need to cut the base plate only the sides of the hump. Just noticed your q was about K8 - the method of positioning and cutting the hump will be the same as Gen 1 except the need to cut the base plate.

Cheers

Steven
Thanks for the replies. I best get the dremil out of the shed and look at ordering and new hump after I destroy this one.
expensive exercise....so best post some pictures once you've done it and let us take a look, just to see if it's worth the drama!
I'd rather be riding my Hayabusa thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my Hayabusa
Will do. Just looked at the pictures on EBC, seems to be a fair bit of cutting to the base plate. Hopefully I'll have a crack at it today.

Cheers, Johnny
Job done and now a featured discussion at the top of the page.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO