Is there an age limit?
I took my daughter for a ride from Tallangatta to Albury the other day.

After much heated discussion it was agreed that she would not wear her fairy wings - she is five years old.

40 Kilometres each way, not bad for a first real real ride.

(We've been up and down the back lane and around the streets of Tallangatta in our Princess dress before - not me, her!)

On the way back it felt a little worrying as she insisted on not hanging on, because it was more fun to flap her wings and pretend to flyEgyptian

anyway, it kinda got me thinking, is there a minimum age to be a pillion ?
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Yes, as of 1JULY2008 it is 8 YEARS OF AGE and they must be able to reach the pegs.
Otherwise you can be booked.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:Yes, as of 1JULY2008 it is 8 YEARS OF AGE and they must be able to reach the pegs.

Is this Australia wide ??
Photobucket
cAstAgeAr Wrote:
BUSGO Wrote:Yes, as of 1JULY2008 it is 8 YEARS OF AGE and they must be able to reach the pegs.

Whe the hell did that come in I always take my sisters kids etc for a ride.
I will have ask my relative about WA he's a coppa hear in WA, cAstAgeAr I will post the answer when I find out.
Rev004 Wrote:
cAstAgeAr Wrote:

Whe the hell did that come in I always take my sisters kids etc for a ride.
I will have ask my relative about WA he's a coppa hear in WA, cAstAgeAr I will post the answer when I find out.

Thanks Pi_thumbsup
Photobucket
I dunno about the date noted above, but it's always been that they must be able to reach the pegs regardless of age.

Maybe the age thing has been done. News to me, thanks.

I'm always carting my little one around. have been since she was 5 (8 in feb 09) She's great on the back. knows how to lean correctly. She doesn't hold me. She reaches by her side & holds the gear rack.
She fits her mum's helmet perfectly. The jacket & gloves are still a little big, but work fine.
Call me old school but I just dont think kids should ride on the back of motorbikes. For one thing they havent got the right gear on and most of the time the helmet is a bad fit.
You have to ask your self this question would you get on a bike without the proper gear on? So why put your or someone elses child in danger.

Sorry for being and old fuddy duddy.
2009 Super Duke
2011 Aprilia RS 125
Honda Lead ScooterBiker
DAD Wrote:Call me old school but I just dont think kids should ride on the back of motorbikes. For one thing they havent got the right gear on and most of the time the helmet is a bad fit.
You have to ask your self this question would you get on a bike without the proper gear on? So why put your or someone elses child in danger.

I've had my kids on the bike since they were 5 years old. Both loved it and still do. They are now 15 and 17 years of age.
On the protection thing - we bought them fitting helmet and jacket.
They both now fit into their mothers helmet and my jackets. We have always regarded them as "precious cargo" and extremely careful when they have been on the bike. Now they fight each other for pillion duties when we are going out.

In answer to Fuddy Duddy above, Had I not included the kids in our joy of motorcycling they would have missed out on many hundreds of kays of safe and enjoyable riding with their Dad. I am fully responsible for their safety at all times even now, in all things.
Before I have taken anyone elses child out on Pillion Duties - usually taking them home after visits with my kids when the weather permits, I always seek their parents permission before taking them on the bike.

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
Would I mislead anyone?
Here is the link to the NSW Road rules changes that came into effect on the 1st of July 2008.
The rules are supposed to be applicable in all states of Australia but I suppose it is up to each state to roll them out if they haven't already.

For this particular change, go to page 16 - that last one and read rule 271. Also see the last rule about pets on bikes.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulatio...hanges.pdf
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
If they hang on and have correctly fitting gear and you are very careful then no problem. I have taken my 3 boys on the bike from the time they had to sit in front of me to hold on. Dont tell their mom.

There are rules tho. No playing around and hold on.

I explained the rules to the kids at my last camp quality ride, 6 kids ( & a few parents!) rode the turbo sitting on the back, I pottered around like an old man. If they wanted a thrill I'd reach behind them and hold them in close with my left hand while I gave it a little boost.

Its a thrill to ride on a bike all you need to make it safe is the right gear and a sensible rider.
Madmax Wrote:
DAD Wrote:Call me old school but I just dont think kids should ride on the back of motorbikes. For one thing they havent got the right gear on and most of the time the helmet is a bad fit.

I've had my kids on the bike since they were 5 years old. Both loved it and still do. They are now 15 and 17 years of age.
On the protection thing - we bought them fitting helmet and jacket.
They both now fit into their mothers helmet and my jackets. We have always regarded them as "precious cargo" and extremely careful when they have been on the bike. Now they fight each other for pillion duties when we are going out.

In answer to Fuddy Duddy above, Had I not included the kids in our joy of motorcycling they would have missed out on many hundreds of kays of safe and enjoyable riding with their Dad. I am fully responsible for their safety at all times even now, in all things.
Before I have taken anyone elses child out on Pillion Duties - usually taking them home after visits with my kids when the weather permits, I always seek their parents permission before taking them on the bike.

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2

U sure there not the grand kids Max. Fark i thought u were as old as me
Each to their own, but not me, sometimes things happen that are totally out of your control.
Never ride the A model of anything.
My daughter was 1m tall at 2 years of age...and could reach the pegs...(i'm over 6'2" and my wife not far behind)...she is not 4 and still wanting to know when she can get on for a ride...

The best she has had is when i move it into the back yard from the front...she love getting on it and i can't wait to take her for a real ride...but not until i feel comfortable....

As with everyone else on this forum...nothing is as important as your kids, and i would not do anything to put them in danger...
I dont double at all. first thing i do when i get a bike is take the rear foot pegs off, Im not trying too give any of you guys crap ok, but in a crash the pillion usually gets hurt the most or worse.

In any emergency the pillion ends up all over the back of you and upsets your ability to control the bike properly. Please dont take this the wrong way but im just telling it how I see it.2fast4u
2009 Super Duke
2011 Aprilia RS 125
Honda Lead ScooterBiker
I read a leaflet regarding the recent changes at the RTA when waiting to pay for rego. One may easily be led into thinking that we have no law and order upsets in this state, because the bloody clowns who profess to keep us safe from ourselves, keep inventing new and rediculous "thou shalt nots..." to keep themselves entertained and to help keep our pockets light.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"