Who does what and do you enjoy it?
Government money sucks
My wife has 2 x BA's + a Masters + Assoc Dip in Law + half way thru another Masters. She's employed as an Environmental Inspector & is lucky to top $50k with the Gov.

In private Env company she'd easy get over $130k, but she prefers to work for the Gov. She feels that at least working for the Gov she can enforce change & make a difference. In private company all you do is twist the laws to suit the client paying the bill.
Billy the kid Wrote:I am a train driver on an urban line in greece/athens..
It was a lot of fun in the beginning......It is ok now after 5 years.Trains are allmost full automatic,some things happen ocasionaly and in general if you'll stick to the rulls book you are going to be fine.Nice occupation.
I spend a lot of time in designing stuff that i hope will i produce one day..

Hey Billy, do the trains run on "ish" time as well???
When I went to Greece I was told that all public transport runs on "ish" time. "The bus comes at 11am-ish"
The 10am bus came at 10.35 & the 11am bus came at 10.55 & the midday bus came at 1pm Clap
ravestar whats a wear bar? i dont mind long hoursVery Happy but again whats a wear bar?
Regards

Dan
Dan85 Wrote:ravestar whats a wear bar? i dont mind long hoursVery Happy but again whats a wear bar?

Hardened steel Dan. Put along the leading edge of buckets, blades, scrapers etc to stop the main steel wearing out. Also put in places of high impact or high abrasion wearing.

Next time you pass a grader on the road, have a look along the bottom edge of the blade. You'll see a thicker piece of steel with a heap of bolts thru it. This is the replacible wear bar or cutter.
i figured it would be something about that thanks! well so far im coming up with a whole heap of i have no idea what i wanna do now. maybe i could be a pro golfer or expert fishing guide and tv presenter
Regards

Dan
Dan85 Wrote:i figured it would be something about that thanks! well so far im coming up with a whole heap of i have no idea what i wanna do now. maybe i could be a pro golfer or expert fishing guide and tv presenter

How about Procurement??? I need someone on contract til xmas in Adelaide.
Contract hrly rate + accom supplied + 1 flight home / mth.
Louwai Wrote:
Dan85 Wrote:ravestar whats a wear bar? i dont mind long hoursVery Happy but again whats a wear bar?

Hardened steel Dan. Put along the leading edge of buckets, blades, scrapers etc to stop the main steel wearing out. Also put in places of high impact or high abrasion wearing.

Next time you pass a grader on the road, have a look along the bottom edge of the blade. You'll see a thicker piece of steel with a heap of bolts thru it. This is the replacible wear bar or cutter.
ya know ya stuff louwai Pi_thumbsup
ive never done anything in procurment. is it hard?
Regards

Dan
ravestar Wrote:ya know ya stuff louwai Pi_thumbsup

Boilermaker around mining & construction for 20 odd yrs......... Riding a bike & all that.
Dan85 Wrote:ive never done anything in procurment. is it hard?

Dunno, ask my wife. She doesn't seem to think spending money is hard.....

Seriously,
It's a matter being able to understand specs, follow procedures & be cluey with supply contracts so you don't get scammed. Also be good with logistics so the stuff arrives on site when required.
hmm interesting. never looked at a supply contract before. would probably take me till christams to figure out what im suppsed to doGhastly
Regards

Dan
Design Engineer. It's pretty cool. Kept me gainfully employed for the last 30+years. Started out as fitter machinist then did toolmaking and pressure vessel welding. Due to good marks at Tech. got invited to Uni. Started doing Engineering Science then switched streams to do Chemistry and Mech. Eng. Too many jobs to mention but every single one has had it's good points and good people. Worked all over Aus. and several other parts of the world. Very cool. As for Graham's question about if you got out what else would you do.....Take Ian Moss's jobCoolsmiley(If only I had that vibratoRoll) (OH yeah and the talentLol2Thats probably fairly important too)
Cheers All
It's a week by week charade.
Dan85 Wrote:hmm interesting. never looked at a supply contract before. would probably take me till christams to figure out what im suppsed to doGhastly

Dan, why don't you hang in the job you've got & go to night school / college / uni for a couple of yrs.

How about teaching??? I spent 2yrs in China teaching "English" in a uni. Absolutely awesome. Best 2yrs of my life to date. All you need is an ESL (English Second Language) certificate, & they are pretty easy to get.
Then go piss off to China for a few yrs. You won't regret it........
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/
Work on an average of 100RMB = AU$20
i cant speak chinese how could i teach english to chinese people? and im trying to figure out what it is i wanna go learn. plus if im going back to school/uni im leaving this job can get twice the money for half the time doing other stuff casual and better hours for school stuff than this. its jsut what it is that i wanna do.

so far things that have tickled my fancy in a fanciful way in no particular order:

-carpentry
-hotel management(father did it for 20+ years)
-pro golfer:P
-working my way up to be a ship captain over a period of time( yes i know ill start as a mangy deck hand)
-start my own small building company with a chippy mate of mine
Regards

Dan
Started off as a Motor Mechanic from 1974 (Qualified) for about 10 years.
Various employers. Last employer was Ultra Tune.
When they started to get into mechanical repairs I didn't like the dirt.
Tuning and diagnosing probs was fun while they just did that.
Wouldn't recommend unless you have your own biz.

Then opposite direction..sales.
Advertising Rep and then Sales Manager for Leader Newspapers.
Was there for 21 yrs (they obviously didn't know) until they found me and gave me a package 2 yrs ago.
Sales is very competitive and stressful.
You are only as good as your last sale, unless you get into management and then you have other stresses like making sure your team perform and you make budget and saying the right things to upper management and playing the game and f*** forgetaboutit. Don't miss it one bit. Rat race.
But I WAS there for 21 yrs so I made a steady wage all that time.
But still not recommended.

I had been running my own 2 businesses 10 yrs prior to the package so fell into it full time. I now:
1. Run a small hosting and web design business (Z Web Design)
2. Run a mobile DJ business. (PPDJ Machine)

I am very passionate about them and really enjoy both.
The hours can be late with the djing but I love it.
The hosting and web design biz is going well...very competitive area though and if you ever get into it expect growth to be slow. In my case it has been slow but steadily growing over 10 years.

Between these 2 businesses I make a good wage.
Nothing huge, but the benefits of not working for a boss any more and having my own hours and time to do what I want is priceless.
Money is not everything.
My stress level is almost zero compared to the Leader days.
THAT is worth everything.

If you can find something you love and then make some money out of it as well then THAT is the direction you should go in because you will never be bored and always have the enthusiasm.

ps Isn't it funny how much personal info people will post.
I bet if you put up a thread show us naked pics of your wife, people would reply...
got mine ready to go..just waiting for the thread....:-)