Salt lake racing?
Any members that been to lake gairdner? i was just wondering if the salt is slippery with a bike and if it does any damage to paint work, ive been to the dlra web site and was going to go last year but was cancled due to water on track. also is there any other type of racing in oz that lets you find out the top speed of ya scoot other than as above and drag racing?
Maj, Greg or Gary are the best people to speak about the salt. They hae been going for a while now and Gary is a Scrutineer.
Shredder and I went for a look back in 2006, will see if I can find the photos again.
Shayne
Reposted old pics from 2006, they didnt get brought across from the old Board. Posted in Club Rides
Shayne
Cheers for that, looks like it makes a hell of a mess to the bike!
ravestar Wrote:Cheers for that, looks like it makes a hell of a mess to the bike!

i read somewhere recently about speed trials on salt lakes, the author said the salt was so hard to penetrate that you could'nt hammer a nail into it, to set up shade tents they had to use power drills , if there has been recent flooding that would have an effect on the lakes
[Image: 583b3abf-1.jpg]
Ravestar, Im the chief motorcycle scrut for the DLRA , I can answer most of your questions
Q is the salt slippery ,compaired to a sealed road yes , and it depends if the salt is hard & dry or wet , a high powered bike will spin the rear tyre the whole distance from between 5% to 17% and greater , I have spun up the rear at 200+ fishtailing and shooting a rooster tail of salt Yes

Q does the salt damage the paint work NO but its very corrosive and will cause severe damage if you dont clean up after racing , I strip ther bike down when I get home and clean everything , you can purchase some products (salt away ) or spray the bike with a solution of some sort of oil and thinner before racing , but you have to do a thourough clean after
Q The salt is usually very hard ,yes just like concrete with a thin layer (1cm) of very loose salt on top and yes you do need to pre drill holes to put in tent pegs

There are at least 4 members here that go each year I recon all members should come out at least once to have a look , Its almost racing time 3rd March
Cheers
Gary