08 Exhaust - modify versus new
Terry Merritt here in SA who owns Redline Exhausts is getting old and cranky but if there is one thing he knows is exhausts, his expertise is second to none, he has done almost every bike I have owned including our Yamaha XSV650 which sounds great.

Often he will open up the original exhaust, either replace or modify the silencers and refit like it was never opened, looks street legal!!

He is about to do my Hayabusa, quoted $320.00, probably take all day in a couple of week time when he is back on deck. From what I can see the ends come off easily, so mods should be easy.......

I would be genuinely interested though at what cost and what you have done and what the sound resembled before I commit, I would love a deep throaty sound like a Ducati or dare I say a Harley.....

So, boys and girls, your cost, brand, retro fit or modified, as much detail, photos etc. as you can muster would be just great, and, I suppose I best wish everyone from my family a safe new year to you and yours

1/2/2008, Went to get the job done the other day and it seems the bolts holding the end caps are welded on in one spot per bolt, not a clever design, so back to the drawing board to get new bolts first before doing the job.

Rov
Berlinwall Wrote:Terry Merritt here in SA who owns Redline Exhausts is getting old and cranky but if there is one thing he knows is exhausts, his expertise is second to none, he has done almost every bike I have owned including our Yamaha XSV650 which sounds great.

Often he will open up the original exhaust, either replace or modify the silencers and refit like it was never opened, looks street legal!!

He is about to do my Hayabusa, quoted $320.00, probably take all day in a couple of week time when he is back on deck. From what I can see the ends come off easily, so mods should be easy.......

I would be genuinely interested though at what cost and what you have done and what the sound resembled before I commit, I would love a deep throaty sound like a Ducati or dare I say a Harley.....

So, boys and girls, your cost, brand, retro fit or modified, as much detail, photos etc. as you can muster would be just great, and, I suppose I best weish everyone from my family a safe new year to you and yours

Rov

All depends what u want??
HP
WEIGHT LOSS
LOOKS
OR JUST NOISE
kawasuki Wrote:[quote=Berlinwall]
Terry Merritt here in SA who owns Redline Exhausts is getting old and cranky but if there is one thing he knows is exhausts, his expertise is second to none, he has done almost every bike I have owned including our Yamaha XSV650 which sounds great.

So, boys and girls, your cost, brand, retro fit or modified, as much detail, photos etc. as you can muster would be just great, and, I suppose I best weish everyone from my family a safe new year to you and yours

Rov

All depends what u want??
HP
WEIGHT LOSS
LOOKS
OR JUST NOISE
Just nice note, loud enough to be heard..........no real interest in power/weight loss!!
retro fitted a gen 1 exhaust on mine. nice note from remus cans. and shed a whole shit load of weight. complete exhaust bolt on fit. note you need the lot ie headers, mids and cans
tomrux Wrote:retro fitted a gen 1 exhaust on mine. nice note from remus cans. and shed a whole shit load of weight. complete exhaust bolt on fit. note you need the lot ie headers, mids and cans

I'm sitting down here on a 43C day in Adelaide so I guess you will increase the heat with a cost?
Tom did you notice any difference in pipe size/design between the 08 and earlier?
Shayne
Berlinwall Wrote:Terry Merritt here in SA who owns Redline Exhausts is getting old and cranky but if there is one thing he knows is exhausts, his expertise is second to none, he has done almost every bike I have owned including our Yamaha XSV650 which sounds great.

Rov

Would be great to know how much more horsepower you achieved from the standard cans being modified as opposed to say a set of yoshis

LIVE TO RIDE AND RIDE TO LIVE

LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE
From what I have read about the workings of the K8 engine, the whole system from air intake, idle speed, fuel injection, butterfly operation, right through to exhaust sensing is controlled by the ECU. Any mucking around with any of the components could lead to lesser performance unless the ECU is reconfigured to compensate properly.

Don't forget the $2000+ fine for changing the emissions output that are now in place throughout Australia for all new bikes. (Still you have to get caught and pinged by the Environmental Protection Authority or EPA to get busted for it).

Don't forget that the ONLY reason we have a new model Hayabusa is to comply with the new emission laws.
If it wasn't for them we would be riding the GEN 1 for quite a few more years I reckon.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
all the more reason to get an 07 plated gen 2 or stick on gen2 crank in a gen1.That change alone yields 7hp everywhere.I,m told the gen2,s have more induction roar,perhaps that will suffice instead of a pipe.
Berlinwall:cost me $120 for a smick set of second hand gen 1 pipes, already had a set of remus cans.
Busgo: has suzuki stamps all over it, EPA can go hooii. header pipe thicknes/size appears the same but the seal between the headers and the mid pipes is thinner also gen2 are more than twice the weigth of gen1. if you put gen 1 seals (part# escapes me at the moment but can put it up l8r) and mid pipes then cans are a bolt on fit to gen2. also need to put a nut on the mid pipes so that the o2 sensor can be put on then the computer can make all the adjustments it needs to. having the o2 sensor makes it a "closed system". no pair system, for information also.
will put up picks l8r too
Tom
I'm not sure what you mean by the suzuki stamps comment TomConfused
The only connection with Suzuki that I have is that my first and probably my last bikes ever bought were Suzukis. (Plenty of others in between though).

@ Glenn, it doesn't matter whether it is an 07 plated or an 08 plated gen II. The law applies to all new models introduced after July 07.

I'm not saying that I won't be modifying my pipes when I get the new bike, just letting everyone know the legallities of it all thats all.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
headers and mid pipes still got suzuki numbers stamped on them Busgo. qualify as standard pipes.

Tom