computer problems. Can anyone help???
Calling any PC gurus in Melbourne.
My PC network & main PC has died. I urgently need them up & running.
My 6yo kicked the box & now it don't work. (on the lappy now)

For some reason the lappy won't connect to the wireless modem either. (can't even "see" the modem) Right now using Wireless Broadband card which is not part of my home network.

These are business PC's & desperately need them up & running ASAP.
Can anyone help?????

Happy to pay for services.

Alternatively, can anyone recomend a good PC service guy.

Cheers, Bryan
Louwai Wrote:Happy to pay for services.

Cheers, Bryan

Whereabouts in melbourne are you Bryan?

paulh
Im on a laptop to, my discs on main pc died on me, Paul if you got any disc controllers for a Maxtor 20gig, perhaps you can help me out, I must save all the data on that disc. But Bryan first lol.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
paulh Wrote:
Louwai Wrote:Happy to pay for services.

Cheers, Bryan

Whereabouts in melbourne are you Bryan?

paulh

Paul, I'm in Mulgrave.

The lappy is now wirelessly connecting to the modem, so that's good. Have no idea what the hick-up was.

But the main PC is totally out of action.
When I hit the button, the power light comes on, but that's it. Nothing else happens. Usually you can hear the cooling fan & the HD's spin up, but nothing, silence.
I do know that one of the HD's inside is loose. The guy who built it forgot to put the screws in. I wonder if the girl's kick could have caused something there.
Opened the box to have a look. As all VERY experienced PC techs would do. I haven't opened one of these for about 10yrs. Everything looks different.
First thing I noticed was what looked like the main power supply cables not plugged into either of the HD's.
Straight away I thought "no worries" but then the brain took over & I figured it must have been like that cause there's no way these plugs could just fall out. Then I noticed the 2 OTHER sets of cables going to each HD. Nothing like the old power plugs I'm used to.

Stuck a screw in the loose HD. Cleaned the dust out of the fans.

Plugged the power in & switched it on while looking inside.
(looking inside & cleaning dust out has always worked in the past)

A little green light on the m/board came on & the power pack was making sausage-sizzle noises. Still no fan movenment. Switched it off. Decided to switch on again just in case it changed it's mind.
This time a pop & flash from the power pack. Then everything dead. Not even the little green light.

So using my great PC knowledge, I reckon the first thing I need is a new power pack.

The existing (dead) one is a 400w. Should I put in a bigger one????

Then I guess I'll still have the original issue.

HELP!!!!!!!!
Ok Louwai.

You have successfully diagnosed a dead power supply.

You can buy a new case, that includes a power supply and have the shop move all your essential bits into it.

I suggest you take it to a shop, not a backyard guy, and have them transfer all the good bits into a new case. Probably about $100 or thereabouts, so long as there is no other damage from the attempted home repairs.

Good luck.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:Ok Louwai.

You have successfully diagnosed a dead power supply.

You can buy a new case, that includes a power supply and have the shop move all your essential bits into it.

I suggest you take it to a shop, not a backyard guy, and have them transfer all the good bits into a new case. Probably about $100 or thereabouts, so long as there is no other damage from the attempted home repairs.

Good luck.
Appreciate the comment. But, why can't I (ie: real repair person) just replace the power supply in this case. It's only held in with 4 screws????
You can if you can find one to match but you may find the price difference is not all that much for a new box.

Are you sure you have got all the plugs in the correct places?

In your first description about not getting any response when turning the PC on except for a little green LED, you get this result if one of the RAM modules is not properly seated in the mother board.
However, if there is no fan activity from the power supply, that is a real problem and probably why the PC was not responding and fried when you tried to get it going again. It may have been a bung fan at first but is now a bung power supply.
The fix is still the same though unless further damage has been caused by the magic smoke escaping.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:You can if you can find one to match but you may find the price difference is not all that much for a new box.

Are you sure you have got all the plugs in the correct places?

In your first description about not getting any response when turning the PC on except for a little green LED, you get this result if one of the RAM modules is not properly seated in the mother board.
However, if there is no fan activity from the power supply, that is a real problem and probably why the PC was not responding and fried when you tried to get it going again. It may have been a bung fan at first but is now a bung power supply.
The fix is still the same though unless further damage has been caused by the magic smoke escaping.

OK, Fair Call. I didn't touch / remove any plugs. Everything is as it was originally.
I'll get the wife to take it somewhere tomorrow.

Thanks for the info

Can anyone recommend a good computer guy near Mulgrave????
If you have not been any where yet go down to main rd Claton he is in the centre of the shopping strip but not sure of number on left going south b4 fruit shop top bloke and want rip you off tell him i sent you
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com