Mixing Michelin Pilots?
I will be doing a CSBK cornerering L1 day at Eastern creek soon, so my tyre choice is influenced by those plans. Thinking Pilot Road 2CT rear, Pilot Sport fr.

Riding style...well hate to admit it but: BT056 still on at 8,500 kms (rear well gone), maybe 1/2" chicken strips fr & rear Scary

well, I had too offs years ago (b4 Busa), 1 laid me up for 8 weeks, so confidence levels down ever since, my excuse anyway Pi_tongue

Mark
I wouldn't mix a chopper pilot with a fixed wing. Too many arguments would insue.

Just kiddin.
I run pilot road 2ct rear and pilot power 2ct front for average road use and got about 2mm chicken strips on the front and no strips on the rear. Mix and match for distance and grip. You want to hang it in there hard, my choice is fine, you want to hang it in there like a racer go for slicks. You wanna die, stick cruser tyres on there an well... nice knowing you.

If your learning to corner, learn how to set suspenssion first and then how to control your breaking and throttle, the rest will fall into place. I've leaned over as far as a busa will go on bridy 020's and pilot roads, draging both knees easily. They don't bead and they don't scuff like stickys do, and if you push it they will slide easily. But if your just running through and learning your craft a simple set of pilot powers or diablo corsers, that sorta deal will give you a good blend of grip and life. Power 2CT's are a good option for touring and sport, track riding due to the harder centres. But it's much of a muchness.

The riding courses are well worth thier weight in gold so have a blast and learn (Not that i have done one but had a mate that used to teach at them). If they dont teach you brakeless riding ask for your money back. (Ride around a track going as hard as you can and don't touch a brake, at all! engine control. Worth learning.)

Hope this helps a bit.
Geoff

PS Simple answer. Mix whatever you like. Keep in mind lean angle potential. From my experience a slightly sticker front than rear on the busa is a good idea, but they dissapear quickly if you push them.
Have run the same mix on mine for a few years and find them great.
Gaz
Now that I have to shoo the moths out of my wallet, durability has come to the fore...going for Metzeler M3 as I read they're a good balance between grip and wear - just booked it in tomorrow.
You will go great with M3s. Very reliable and excellent wear.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Monyx, I would strongly advise AGAINST mixing a 2CT rear with a non 2CT front.

On the plus side, when the frot lets go you will most likely "lowside" and not get too badly hurt, all the rest is bad!

I have been running Pilot Powers, up till the 2CT came available, the Pilot Power 2CT is the best tyre bar none that I have ever had on a bike..but!

They track very differently to other tyres. I wore out the rear, and fitted a second hand Pilot Power (non 2CT) to get me thru till 2CT's were available. You can get away with this set up, but 2CT rear, non 2CT front...bike would be virtually unrideable.
I put on a Metzeler SportTec M3 rear, $299 fitted. Had another farewell lunch at my workplace today, wondered out and started Busa and wound on 1-2-3 gears short shifting, forgetting about the 10kms old rear....brakes for left corner in the 'burbs and WHOOPSEE back is slide'n out, due to bad habit of standing on rear pedal, shiiiit get off the back and run wide, thankfully clear road.

Bloody hardly a sound as the thing slicked across the pavement like greased lightning.

Fool I am Idiot2
Ummmm, yeah!

Live and learn hey?

Just outa interest i have a very simple rule.

"You WILL land on your arse when showing off on a motorbike!"

This is a fact and can be supported by testimonials from heaps of riders.

Moral of the story; don't show off.

Geoff

PS Glad you got away with it.
CapeBusa Wrote:Ummmm, yeah!

Live and learn hey?

Just outa interest i have a very simple rule.

"You WILL land on your arse when showing off on a motorbike!"

This is a fact and can be supported by testimonials from heaps of riders.

Moral of the story; don't show off.

Geoff

PS Glad you got away with it.

To add to your theory...the likelihood of things going wrong is relative to the number of onlookers! If no one is around..stunts go perfect! Don't be fooled, and dont film for "Youtube" potential audience of millions means disaster is almost assured!

I had to buy my wife a new SV650S to replace the 600 Hornet that I wrote off doing a wheelie a couple o years back!
Still doing the long runs Tone?
Hijacked
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
No, rarely do more than 800k in a day now, Prefer the back ways and twisties these days. got down to 1 point for a bit, have 2 now, with another 3 due back in Dec. You can no longer count on any slack from the cops, who will happily issue speeding tickets without discount for conditions.

Ill see your hijack, and raise you by a re-jack..

I tried Continental Race Attack tyres recently....YUK! Not only did I lowside my 3 week old Busa on them, they were shredded in 2000k, had a profile that fouled with hugger, and felt very squirrelly in turn transition. They were reccommended to me by a Blackbird rider. Went on a Ulysses ride where the other riders "guessed" mileage of em at 9000k..actual k's at that point was 1500.

Back on Michelin Pilot Power 2CT now, and couldnt be happier with them. Tyre choice is probably dependant on the way you ride, some ppl buy Busas and ride em like posty bikes, get great tyre wear, and dont really need great grip. The best mileage I have had from a tyre on the Busa was 5000k (Pilot Power) the 2CT gave me 4000k and cost $80 more. The 10m slide down the road cost around $1000.00 (Thanks Crash Knobs!) and could have been a lot worse. Price is not a factor in my tyre choice process!!