Suspension setup help [Sydney]
Hi Guys,

I pick up my busa on Monday and with me being a big guy I want to set the suspension up to my suit my overly fat arse.

Is there anyone in Syd that could help me with it?
Regards,

John

2fast4u
ask the dealer to do for you as part of pre delivery im sure they'll only be too happy to help get it setup right , i like the color of your new ride bj , looks familiar , lol
I've had dealers attempt to set up suspension for me before and some have no idea.

My suggestion is to do it yourself as each person has preferences for how they like it. First set up front and rear preload. This will ensure that the suspension is working within the right part of its stroke.

Front preload - easiest way is to tie a plastic cable tie around each fork slider. Tight enough so that it stays in position, but loose enough that the fork stanchion can push it down when the front suspension is loaded. Go for a ride and see how far the cable tie gets pushed down under load and heavy braking. Don't be surprised if the forks bottom out as the spring rate is too low if you are heavy. I am 110kg and my front preload is set on maximum. Theoretically the cable tie should only be pushed down to about 10mm from the bottom. You'll feel if the suspension is bottoming out as it feels like the front wheel is skipping under heavy braking. You only need to be going slow in order to feel this.

Rear preload - you will need to measure the static sag (amount the suspension is compressed by the weight of the bike alone) and rider sag (amount the suspension is compressed by the weight of the bike with the rider sitting on it).

Static sag I think is meant to be about 5-10mm. Rider sag is meant to be about 25-30mm.

You will need to work out a way to get the back of the bike completely off the ground and then measure the distance from a fixed spot on the swingarm to a spot on the seat fairing. Try to pick two spots vertically separated.

Put the bike back on the ground and vertical. Measure between the same two spots and should aim to be a 5-10mm less than the unsprung distance you previously measured. ie. the weight of the bike has compressed the suspension 5-10mm.

Now sit on the bike and have someone measure between the same two spots again. Should aim for the suspension to now be compressed by 25-30mm. Adjust by rotating the collar on the rear suspension by the correct c spanner on hammer and punch.

You will need to measure a few times after gently settling the bike back under its own weight and also bouncing it on other occassions as the measurements are effected by stiction of the suspension. Settle on the average.

Your manual indicates where each adjustment is located.

Once you have preload set you can then muck about with compression damping and rebound damping. Personally I do one end at a time and go for big jumps as you can easily feel the difference and will be able to tell whether you have made an improvement or gone too far. Take it easy whilst doing this though as you don't want to confuse your abilities with Casey Stoner and end up binning it because your suspension is out of whack.

The ultimate goal is for both ends to be working at the same rate. Firm enough that the bike doesn't wallow around at high speed, but not so firm that it skips off bumps and pounds your kidneys. This is where you settle on your preference.

In general, if you're a big bloke like me, the stock settings will be way too soft.

I have read articles on this website and others, so maybe someone can post up the links if they know how to find them.

You might get lots of advice (some conflicting), but read it all, take it in and work out what's right for you.

And have fun riding.
Hello Big John

Where are you in Sydney mate? If you are interested I am in Western Sydney and would be happy for you to bring your bike around and we can take a look at it. I've set up about 6 gen 1's for the club, including my own, and have come up with settings that are pretty good on the Hayabusa for stock suspension.

I am in Western Sydney. Drop me a line 0416317109 or send a PM.
Just want to give a big thanks to Graham for his help yesterday with tweaking my suspension. Clap
Regards,

John

2fast4u
You are welcome John. It was good to meet you.

Thanks to you also for allowing to me have a ride of your Gen II.

Let me know how are you finding the new settings after week.
Gday John,
Pls excuse me being nosey, but im wondering just how big you are, as i stand at 6'10" and weigh in at approx 150 kg.

Currently running standard Susp this way on my Gen2, but i have a new Ohlins waiting for me to install when i get back home from working away.
There are a couple of Suspension Guru's here in Adleaide, one of them will be re-springing and re-valving my front Forks once i have fitted the Ohlins.
FYI, the ohlins has high and low speed Comp Dampening, and a remote ride height adjuster.

Ive played with my stock susp a little, but in my eyes she definatley needs re springing and valving.......so i said stuff it and got the Ohlins, (a good starting point as far as im concerned.) :)

Cheers,
Matt.
(07-02-2010, 08:07pm)Troopmaster Wrote: Gday John,
Pls excuse me being nosey, but im wondering just how big you are, as i stand at 6'10" and weigh in at approx 150 kg.

Currently running standard Susp this way on my Gen2, but i have a new Ohlins waiting for me to install when i get back home from working away.
There are a couple of Suspension Guru's here in Adleaide, one of them will be re-springing and re-valving my front Forks once i have fitted the Ohlins.
FYI, the ohlins has high and low speed Comp Dampening, and a remote ride height adjuster.

Ive played with my stock susp a little, but in my eyes she definatley needs re springing and valving.......so i said stuff it and got the Ohlins, (a good starting point as far as im concerned.) :)

Cheers,
Matt.
I Had mine set up by Hoey suspension at Pooraka ,by Peter $30 ,but he did tell me that from his experiance all gen 1 busa's are under sprung at the front ,even for me, 80 kg 5 ft 10 ,don't know re gen 2 .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(07-02-2010, 08:07pm)Troopmaster Wrote: Gday John,

Cheers,
Matt.

Hi Matt,

I'm 6'3" and about 160kg and losing it rapidly, was 190kg 3 months ago...

I understand that I need to get heavier rated springs and a re-valve, but I'm not in a position to do so yet. That is what I'll be spending my money on before the go-fast bits.

This was just a tweak to firm things up a bit, the ass end was very soft and would wollow on some corners. The rear was one click from the softest setting Wtf (did they not see how big I was when they sold me the bike???) much improved now though. Pi_thumbsup
Regards,

John

2fast4u
John.....much respect!

The loss of 30 kg's, you must be feeling like a new man!!
no the feeling am 6`3 and weight 176kg 8 weeks ago now down to 160 so i getting there
(07-03-2010, 10:54pm)busa666 Wrote: no the feeling am 6`3 and weight 176kg 8 weeks ago now down to 160 so i getting there

Please tell me your secret to thew weight loss.
Kathy
Rear half of 2000 Red/Grey Busa Smitten
Rear half of 2010 Red BMW K1300 GT Smitten
(08-03-2010, 11:40am)BabyBusa Wrote: Please tell me your secret to the weight loss.

Amphetamines FTW!
"casting dispersions on others credability." And their illiteracy.