Common sense at last!
"Italy raises speed limits for safer motorways

10 Feb 2003

Speed limits are being raised in Italy to improve road safety.

Italian transport minister Pietro Lunardi believes higher speeds will improve the traffic flow, and encourage motorists to pay attention. The change will affect three-lane motorways, with the limit raising to 150km/h (93mph), from January 1, 2004. Lunardi went on to say that psychologists and doctors say people who go faster drive better and are more careful, and that only 9 per cent of fatal accidents were caused by speeding."
Well that does it, I am selling the house and moving to Italy. I'll post pics of me on my busa with a young tanned Italian lass doing 150km/h down the highway asap. Oh yeah - without a helmet too as they arent compulsory either
I think we should chip in for this Pietro fellows plane ticket to Australia so he can speak to our parliamenterians (wankers) ....later Rod
Sorry ac but I think they have to wear helmets now. Regards,
ColinT
Was over there about 2 years ago & travelled from Rome to Naples with the inlaws in their beemer 320 & never saw less than 160 all the way with the occasional cop totally disinterested !!!!

It was a real eye opener & I was very impressed with the
Italian driver's attitude together with their rigid use of indicators to signal intentions & with everyone staying in the slower lanes unless overtaking !! The traffic flow was very smooth with no hold up's in 2 hours of driving.
The German autobahns are much the same & I remember about 30 years ago travelling from Holland to Germany in a Citroen 2CV shite box with only a hand brake & being told by a Dutch mechanic that I was a typical "bloody foreigner " LOL !!!

(All I wanted was a brake master cylinder kit ?? !! )

Never saw an accident in 3 weeks of car & bus touring. For the history buffs out there, Italy is a must do.
Yes and they make nice cars and bikes too .......
Pitty their not reliable