Speed Limits in NT
Isn't it ironic that the day that speed limits are introduced in the Northern Territory that they have their first fatality on the Stuart Hwy for the Holiday season.
Police are blaming a blowout for the cause of the accident.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
They have to blame it on something
We took a ride down that same way the day before, bout 40 bikes mostly HD's, 2 Busa's and a cpl gixxers. It's a dead straight bit of road (mostly is in the NT). On the way home we two busa's were alone and gave it a nudge at that same spot, I stopped checking the speedo at 270 and just enjoyed the first and last time I'll ever do that legally. I'd imagine the rental they were driving had some kind of problem, even falcons don't just flip out and hit the side of the road for no reason. These people were locals who knew the road, so I'm thinking a blowout would indeed be possible. Not much else can really happen when your top speed is limited to around 180 (I think).
I still think 130 is a little on the slow side for these conditions too easy to lose concentration, especially on a long haul.
However wallet & license dictates that I shall obey...mostly.
Your views on speed limit appreciated
My experience of the NT is that most cars travel around the 135 mark tops. A few go faster and of course bikes tend to be a bit daster. But the real problem up there is the number of utes filled to capacity (with people), or Landcruisers chock a block without seat belts. They've had no real enforcement of rules for many years, even drink driving (I don't think you ever actually had a licenece suspended no matter how many times pinged). Once again, I don't think speed was the main problem, it was "Territory attitude", but hey, speeding is always the easy target and we need to be seen to be doing something, must be an election along soon?