Anti Virus Software
Okay yu geek types out there, wjhat is the most effective anti-virus, anti spyware software out there at the moment please? I had Nortons, the full monty and still lost a hard drive to a virus, thinking of Zone alarm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Max
Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Grey Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
AVG 7.5 FOR WINDOWS FREE

www.grisoft.com/doc/downl...01?prd=avw

i have been using this for years it was recemended by computer shop i was going to buy norton off he said it is much better i have had no problems THE WARRIOR

REGARDS ROD
kangaroos1996@msn.com
avg as above running it for yrs problem free, norton terrible hogs your system resources.
Yep wot Rod & Volvi said. Been using AVG for years.

I uninstalled a fully updated Norton package on a mates computer because of problems then installed and run AVG free and it quarantined 22 items so it shits on Norton . His computer booted up and ran heaps faster and still does.

Plus it’s freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cheers Darryl
Max... I've been using a combination of AVG and ZoneAlarm for years and its served me well.

I also attribute my trouble-free results to the fact that I DONT use Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook because the vast majority of nasties are written to specifically target weaknesses in these programs. Instead, I use Mozilla Firefox (instead of IE) and Mozilla Thunderbird (instead if Outlook). They are so similar to the Microsoft programs you'll have no problem adapting - and simply because they aren't IE and Outlook, a lot of virus and spyware issues can't reach you.

I also run AdAware and Spybot about once a month - but in the past 14 months since I've been using Firefox and Mozilla I've not had any intruders at all. Compared to when I used Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook where I used to have 20 or 30 new bits of spyware every time I ran AdAware and Spybot.

If you need an address where you can go get these things (all of which are FREEWARE by the way), let me know.

The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... RobEdited by: AstroBusa at: 21/10/06 23:33
From a technical viewpoint, I have to recommend a commercial solution to use ALONG with the Microsoft Security Updates that should be set to Automatic and Express for ALL CRITICAL UPDATES.

Personally, I use Trend Micro PC-cillan Internet security 2006.
If you have a commercial Internet Security package and it is configured properly and keep your security patches up to date, you do not need any Adaware or other Spybot software.
Indeed the Microsoft updates include malaware detection and removal in their distribution.

I have found that freeware solutions ALWAYS include little packets called "Easter Eggs" that could be harmfull to your system.
Many of the so-called problems that they report are actually safe cookies that are recognised by the commercial solutions providers.

However, if you feel secure with AVG and Adaware etc.
Go for it, by all means, it is free and therefore no one can be blamed for their failure in the event of a disaster.
Not that Trend, Symantec or Macafee will repair any damage either, but at least their commercial success depends upon protection capabilities.

Rgds BUSGO

"TAKE MY ADVICE"
I'm not using it anyway!
I just poured Militec on mine and it protects it just fine
Was Avg but went on to Windos Defender after reading v good reviews as it being the bees knees.
So far so good.
If you know about torrents you can find it...allegedly... Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,Photography, Bullshit Artist!

"I don't want a pickle,
I just wanna ride my motorsickle."
Arlo Guthrie 1968
I have gone ahead and got Zone alarm after many recs Have installed it. I keep getting messages to update my spyware from MSN and I can't get rid of them. So annoying. I have checked the Control panel, everything is working.

Max
To err is human, to really f*** things up takes a computer
Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Grey Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
I looked for AVG at the posted address, there must be a crack for it, the one on the link is only a trial version. After a brief period, it costs you about $50.00. If anyone knows if this can be bypassed, let me know.

Cheers,
Terry
sounds like you took a wrong turn...
here
free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
Cheers,
Pete

Z Web World
Mobile Dj, Web Design,Photography, Bullshit Artist!

"I don't want a pickle,
I just wanna ride my motorsickle."
Arlo Guthrie 1968
Thanks DJ, that did the trick.

Cheers,
Terry