Front Brake Calipers - Fitting New Seals
Has anyone else replaced the seals in their front brake calipers?

The repair manual shows a definite angle on the outside circumference of the caliper piston seals and instructs that they be insert as per the diagram.

The seal kits I got from Suzuki for a K6 do not have this angle on seals.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? Unfortunately I cannot check the old seals as I binned them before the new ones arrived.

The seal groove in the caliper doesn't seem to be recessed for the angle.

Any similar experiences out there?
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
Got a pic of the new seals??
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
Nah, both me and Max eye-balled them and they are flat edged inside and outside faces.

But the book shows a definite chamfer on the outside circumference.

Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
UPDATE:

From what I can ascertain from the part number on the bag the seals came in, they are the correct ones.

My calipers are slightly different as there is only one small seal fitted between the caliper halves for an oil channel. (not two as in the diagram)

After many a try at bleeding them and not being able to get the lever feeling at all like it should, I suspected that the caliper was not filling with brake fluid correctly.

I removed the calipers, leaving the brake line connected and fitted and old set of brake pads.

I then pumped the brake lever allowing the pistons to come out further than allowed with the disk and new pads. This has allowed more fluid to flow into the piston cavities. I've also tapped and rotated the calipers to loosen any bubbles clinging to the walls of the calipers.

Then I've refitted the calipers, leaving the old pads fitted, and bled the lines again. This required the pistons to be pushed back in to allow ref-fitment.

The lever now has very good feel.

As today has been raining, I reckon the brake fluid has absorbed so much moisture, I'm going to do a final bleed on Thursday afternoon and flush the system with new bottle of brake fluid. This is all assuming the weather report is correct and it fines up.
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
Les between now and then clamp the brake level back so that the brakes are locked on, stong tape or a strap is fine.

This will pressurise the line and force any air bubbles up under pressure helping to bleed all air out
& give Pan a call hes good on repairs on front brakes Pi_thumbsup

ps then do the opposite to what he says
It now feels like I have brakes. Final flush, bleed and fit new pads this arvo when it warms up and is less humid Very Happy
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)
You guys worry me a little, brakes are not something you want to learn the hard way ....
Don't worry Maj,

I've got a mechanical trade certificate and spent 8 years fixing aeroplanes. Just another hydraulic system. Very Happy

Besides, I'll know if there are going to work when I have to slow down for Cooma.
Regards,

Busdriver (aka Les)