1999 fuel pump - filter service
Hi

Ive been reading the forum posts looking for the location of the fuel filter in particular on the 99 busa.

Q is it inside the tank or external?
Q is it easy to replace and clean the filter?

I have noticed a problem with the bike throughout the whole rpm range in all gears.

To me it feels like it is starving for fuel (or the feeling you get when your about to run out of fuel), slight miss-firing, and hesitation. More noticeable when you are just crusin, or smooth excelleration.
When you are off throttle especially down the rpm from 6-4000rpm it has a little bit of backfiring.

* I was going to check the fuel-lines under the tank (Ive seen they can kink)

* Clean out the pump and fuel filter (Ive read this can be a problem and with 70K on it)

* Check spark plugs (check the condition and maybe replace them)

Am I on the right track, or is it something else. The bike is standard, no mods, 70K on the clock, dont know anything on the service history. I ve only owned it for a short period.
the 99s fuel pump is external and it has filters (fine mesh screens) this could be the problem
The Main offender is the small fuel pump strainer No 26 in the diagram .It is easily replaceable ,By lifting the tank & removing the 2 bolts holding the pressure regulator on .The filter is pushed into a hole in the casting, directly under the regulator . Carefully hook the filter out ,being carefull not to loose it . I soaked mine in a caustic mix overnight to clean it ,but ended up fitting a new one . Part No 15165-24 F00 . $ 7-00 from Stevens .
I actually removed my pump & replaced the internal paper filter( No 10 ) but I Don't think that was required & I would now go straight to the Fuel Pump strainer . This was on my 2000 ,But Carbon busa had the same problem with his 99 & Told me what to do ( Thanks Mate ).

http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm
go to 1999 gsx1300r & Click on Pump Assy fig 13

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
fix the backfiring by fitting a marble in the hose that goes from the airbox to the pair valve (under the headers)
Cheers Guys

Im going to get into it today and see what I can find, will keep you posted on what clears the issues and what I find out. Being that I have no idea on the service history, I though all the general maintenance procedures are the way to go first.

thanx for the part# greeny, I thinks I will just replace it and keep the old one as a reference for down the track sometime
Am I on the right track, or is it something else. The bike is standard, no mods, 70K on the clock, dont know anything on the service history. I ve only owned it for a short period.
[/quote]

Hi mate,
Mine had exactly the same symptoms when I bought it. I cleaned the filters (with help from the forum Pi_thumbsup) which did help, but I found personally, the best thing I did was take it out on a few good long rides. I have also found it seems to run better on caltex 98, may be just me .. I dunno. (mine is a 2001)
Cheers
Dale
+1 to what Greeny said. but if not . . .
If you do want to open the pump. Just be careful when opening the the pump to get to the paper filter and internal strainer.
If it still has the original screws they will probably strip the heads. Best to chuck them and replace with allenheads. Be very careful with the large o-ring, it expands and is a prick to get back in.
There is heaps of past info on this site about surging and filter problems.

Good luck and keep us informed
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Thanks for all your assistance and info guys.

I found the strainer in the pump assy had rust ,dirt ,etc in it causing restricted flow of fuel.

Also the fuel filter looks like it had never been changed. (replaced with a new one)

New brake fluids, clutch, brake bleeds, engine, oil filter, air filter, airbox cleanout, fuel pump and assy clean out, new plugs, reassembled, and all nice and new.

thanx again
Thanks to all the knowledgable ones here! I replaced the wire screen for $8.50 from Suzuki, pain free operation. That has really made a difference as the original was about 35-40% blocked. I agree that Caltex 98 seems to make the bike happier also. My question is that at $60 from Suzuki for the paper filter in the pump, is there a cheaper source for this filter? That's a case and a half in beer ecomony terms! Thanks in advance.
(04-01-2011, 12:52pm)Katana2 Wrote: Thanks to all the knowledgable ones here! I replaced the wire screen for $8.50 from Suzuki, pain free operation. That has really made a difference as the original was about 35-40% blocked. I agree that Caltex 98 seems to make the bike happier also. My question is that at $60 from Suzuki for the paper filter in the pump, is there a cheaper source for this filter? That's a case and a half in beer ecomony terms! Thanks in advance.

I Think you'll find that some fit an easily accessible in line fuel filter & leave the internal paper $60 one out .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here