Pros and cons of fuel storage
I decided to store some fuel at home a while back. I bought 4 fuel jerry cans 10 litres each from Supercheap autos when they were on sale for $17ea (handle on top and side, orange and with yellow filler nozzle and cap). The 20 litre would make it to arkward filling up the bike with its weight.

I buy on Tuesdays, saves me riding 9klm round trip buying preferred location fuel. Use supermarket voucher for 4c off.

All 4 cans hold a total of about 46 litres. I like the idea of refuelling at home when it suits me, always have emergency fuel on tap. And when they bomb the shit out of Irans nuclear hopefull I wont end up queing for fuel, for a short while at least lol.

Fuel does go off. Rang BP Ultimate's tech department who says 3 months storage is fine. I have noticed fuel evaporation even when filled to top and well sealed. Yes I guess there is an element of danger storing fuel in garage but theres fuel in bikes tank as well.

Just some of the pros and cons, what do you think?
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
When I was racing we used to keep a 44 gal (200L) drum full of high octane in the shed.
I'm sure the guys here that hit the drags often would also have fuel stored.

It's quite ok as long as you are sensible & don't go spraying sparks from the grinder all over the drum.
Having said that, I would not store in plastic containers. Only steel.

You need to be careful with plastic lids. If if you tighten them too much the centre will crack & pop out. Especially the ones you have Volvi. If I'm not mistaken there is a plastic filter inside which is removable. Sometimes these can put the pressure on the weakest part of the lid & push the middle out.
i make Biodiesel - and store 200 Litre drums of Methanol which is far more dangerous than standard fuel -

i am especially careful about static electricity - but as louwai mentioed - basic common sence and you should not have a problem

Boc
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
U mean no babies near the shed!!
Ozboc Wrote:i make Biodiesel - and store 200 Litre drums of Methanol which is far more dangerous than standard fuel -

i am especially careful about static electricity - but as louwai mentioed - basic common sence and you should not have a problem

Boc

Normal fuel has a much lower flame point than methonal making it more dangerous than methonal.

Thats why you need a good ign system when using methonal compared to normal fuel.

Leonard.Biker
Volvi, all fuel cans (no matter how well you think they're sealed) should have pressure release valves in them because the fuel will 'breathe' (evaporate). Unless you've got big drums, in which case they're sealed. I've got the same fuel can and you'll see that in the cap, there's a small area for the fuel to breathe. Thus, you should always store them in an area with good ventilation. If BP says they're stuff is good for 3 months, you'd probably take their word for it. I could point you in the right direction to become a qualified fuel tech so you can test the fuel every fortnight but honestly, they're right. For such a small amount of fuel, static shouldn't be too much of a problem (a concern with drums).

It can work for you, just rotate the containers so you're always using the old fuel first, that way you needn't to worry about it getting too old.

BTW, if you're worried about the fuel queues when they bomb Iran, I think you should pop out the ol' tin-foil hat... Idiot2
Now is it really worth it to save a few cents,seems a little dangerous to me.
kawasuki Wrote:Now is it really worth it to save a few cents,seems a little dangerous to me.

+1
kawasuki Wrote:Now is it really worth it to save a few cents,seems a little dangerous to me.

If the shelf life of the fuel was 1 year it would be worth your while , but in a larger quanitiy

this time last year we were paying what... $1.40CPL ?

Boc
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
I agree with 'suki. You're not really saving anything because the volume isn't enough to make a huge impact. Fill up 1 20L jerry per week and keep that for your 'home fill' on days other than Tuesday. Repeat cycle.

How about buy an old petrol station and fill up the tanks for the cheapest price you can find... Fuel for a couple of years! I've seen farmers do similar stuff - they keep their own commercial grade HUGE tanks on the farm and get a tanker to come out when it's empty. But then you really do have to worry about water contamination etc... Hmm back to square one.
Sounds like a big waste of time.
Just got to take it on the chin fellas unfortunetly...

:(
The motivation here really isnt about saving a few cents coz in the end its just a matter of a buck or two not even a lattes worth. Personally I like the idea of having some fuel back at home, even if just to top up the tank. Or when wanting to work on tank interior for refill. Again I think its more a matter of having some fuel "on-tap" so to speak and as a side issue not be at the mercy of the fuel companies with their games.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
Volvi Wrote:not be at the mercy of the fuel companies with their games.

During her yrs of uni my wife spent many hrs behind the console of a servo. Man the stories she can tell of what the fuel companies & the servo owners do.....

Besides that......Hijacked
One day my wife was robbed at knife point in the servo. (long before marriage) The guy got away with about $500. My wife took the rest of the day off, as you would after having a knife thrust at you.
Her slime bag boss, docked her days pay for the arvo off AND took the stolen cash out of her pay over the next 3mths because it happened on her shift.
Common practice in servos apparently........... If you have a "drive-off" on your shift, the value of fuel stolen comes out of your pay. So the fuel companies / servos NEVER miss out............ Just the poor old worker who has no control over it.......
Ive heard of that before louwai. Bout whoevers on the job at the time,it comes
out of there pocket if someone does a fuel runner etc
Thats just messed up.