K8 Brake Bling
The last time I bought some Titanium rotor bolts was 3 years ago. They were outrageously expensive back then. Apparently, the price of titanium has skyrocketed even more since that time. I really can't justify the expense to score them for the new Busa.

And yet... the stock rotor bolts look like moist ass. In addition to the dab of white paint (indicating there are torqued to specs on the assembly line), they just look plain nasty. Particularly against the black carriers of the new Galfer rotors:

{click thumbnails for full size}

So.... time to get creative....

First, I wrapped the threads in a small strip of aluminum foil:

Then, you stick that baby in your drill , and break out the killer SemiChrome polish, and light it up at full speed:

After the first pass, the bolt head already looks 1000X better, but still has a lot of tiny pits, ect. Still, the white paint is gone, and there is a fairly decent polish starting to show:

We can do better. For the greatest improvement, I used an actual piece of polishing cloth and another dab of SemiChrome, and spin the drill at high speed for several minutes each.

NOW we're starting to look pretty shit-hot!

Oh, yeah, baby.... Check out this mirror-like finish on these two rotor bolts below!

Almost finished, just need to apply a little Lictite Blue, and torque these bolts down to 16.5 ft-lbs (which is not a whole lot of torque, mind you... steel bolts in aluminum threads doesn't need much torquing down, especially with the Loctite Blue):

DONE! And lookin' much, MUCH better! Not bad for 30 minutes of elbow grease and a few dabs of SemiChrome!

Nice Post Warchild!
Shayne
mmmm pretty i was gonna paint my bolts black might change my mind
Regards

Dan
They look great!

can someone please tell me what this semi chrome polish is?

I went to Supercheap Auto's today and there is a few metal polishes (Mothers, Maguiars, Solvol) but I couldn't see anything that claimed to polish something to a semi chrome finish???

Is there an equivalent available in Oz?

Thanks for the 'heads up' Warchild. Good work!
Need_Speed Wrote:They look great!

can someone please tell me what this semi chrome polish is?

I went to Supercheap Auto's today and there is a few metal polishes (Mothers, Maguiars, Solvol) but I couldn't see anything that claimed to polish something to a semi chrome finish???
The "SemiChrome" nomenclature is just that... nomenclature. It's a metal polish that is made in Germany, and it is very, very good stuff, but in the end, it's just a metal polish. I have little doubt you all have some rough equivalent there Down Under that would likely do just as good a job as SemiChrome.

Here mate, see what this Google search brings ya: Google search results for SemiChrome
I suggest that you try AUTOSOL or PURPLE metal polish Needy...

You may already have some but you can get them just about anywhere that they sell car care products, even Kmart and BigW.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
I've done this before on the brake Bolts & the Frankenstein bollts
(the ones behind the front seat used for tie down points)
Looked great BUT THEY DEVELOPED SURFACE RUST in a very short time, maybe if they were spray painted with a clear coat they would have lasted longer. When they went rusty they were worse then the org finish.

shane
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
Hi guys,

Just letting everyone know I polished an aluminium bolt this evening with some 'Autosol' I had in the shed.

Came up absolutely fantastic in less than 5 minutes.

I've left it outside under the pergola and will let it sit there for a while and see what happens in terms of corrosion etc.

Very impressive result for first attempt. My only reservation is the advice that they corrode quickly???
Yep polished mine with a metal polisher bout a year ago, looks sweet for a few weeks then they went all rusty so had to polish them again and again and again! Pi_freak lots of work to keep them shiny.
Buy a set from Suziki and have them chromed.

[Image: DSC00753.jpg]

Mine chromed
now thats a cool tip!! :)
[Image: nocensorship.gif]
Need_Speed Wrote:Hi guys,

Just letting everyone know I polished an aluminium bolt this evening with some 'Autosol' I had in the shed.

Came up absolutely fantastic in less than 5 minutes.

I've left it outside under the pergola and will let it sit there for a while and see what happens in terms of corrosion etc.

Very impressive result for first attempt. My only reservation is the advice that they corrode quickly???

You wont have a problem with an alloy bolt going rusty but the brake bolts aren't alloy there a coated steel & thats what is being polished & in time it will rust.
[Image: b76e01eb-552d-45d5-97df-028004b674c3_zps59f1c171.jpg]

Busa's yeah i guess i like them I've owned a few Pi_tongue
She's looking bloody awesome Bruce - great work mate.Drool

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
+1, that bike is looking awesome. Way to go man.