Tyre preservative
Hi guys. I'm off to get a new front tyre fitted tomorrow and listen to the usual "take it easy until the preservative wares off" speech from the guy at the shop. So I'm wondering has anyone ever had a new tyre slip because of this stuff? Is there any way or need to clean it off before tucking into your favourite corner?
Cheers Stu
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
read a great article from a Perelli guy about new tyres.. he was going through the myths of new tyres and scrubbing them. Of course he only have the Perelli perspective but a lot of what he said made sense..

basically modern tyre molds only require release agents on the side walls (so that all the writting comes out perfect) so other than some general smears of oils, etc. the tread of the tyre should be ready to go.
However, you also have to remember that the tyre has never seen the light (or heat) of day so it's temp is going to be way way down and THAT could cause grip issues until warmed up

just my 2cents

found the article link

http://www.sportrider.com/how-to-properl...your-tires
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
On ya Bat Pi_thumbsup
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I'm not sure if it's common practice or not, but the guy who fits my tyres is old school, and always gives them a quick scuff with sandpaper to take the shine off them before letting you ride off.
That being said, my last tyres I had fitted were Conti's, they apparently have:
TractionSkin makes for an extremely safe and short breaking-in period. Making this possible are a revolutionary buffed tire surface and a specially coated tire mold that gets by without separating agents.
I usually take it out to an easy knee down corner and go round it a few times. At a pace where your more rolling around the corner as Appossed to powering on. Then again had a new rear in tazzie 20kms and it was scrubbed in
I think I may have learneded something Shifu???
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

(12-09-2014, 04:12pm)Batfink Wrote: I think I may have learneded something Shifu???

Yes mate, we learn all the time and must keep on learning as the new things emerge constantly. But do not keep it to yourself - use it and spread it out so others can benefit from it too Clap
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(12-09-2014, 05:02pm)Shifu Wrote: ......... - use it and spread it out so others can benefit from it too Clap

I tried that once but the police and associated restraining orders demanded I stop

Showback
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

Thanks for your help guys. I am just about to head off to the bike shop now and typically it has just started to rain. I will let you know how the new tire in the rain works out for me. Haha
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!
A motorcycle tyre guy next door to me wipes the tyres down with brake cleaner once he has fitted them and said it removes that shiny slippery coating the tyres have on them, I'm old school no way am i going to put new tyre on and go knee down in the first corner specially new front.
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.
Well I got my Metzeler M7RR fitted yesterday and rode home in the rain. (No surprises there for Sydney at the moment). Today being a beautiful sunny day I took her out around my favourite section of windie bits. What a beautiful tyre! Black beauty just falls into the corners now and makes my old Bridgestone front tyre feel like something from the Flintstones. Biker
Alias Stu

Growing old happens.
Growing up is a choice!