Aerodynamics
As some of you have mentioned it has a lot to do with Drag and I remember at the time reading an article that went on about the arse end of the bikes as a major issue as well as the frontal area of the bike in being able to break that all elusive 300Km/h mark. One of the reasons why the Busa was so much quicker then the ZX12 back then was that the Busa generated a lot less drag hence the reason it's been able to keep the Kawasaki at may for so many years even though it had less horsepower.

From what I remember because for the life of me I can't find the article a lot of time was spent getting the bike to cut through the air as such, but one of the issues was getting the air to cut cleanly around the rear wheel. Suzuki spent a lot of time working on the arse end of the bike but also the belly pan region which has been designed to push the air to either side of the rear wheel which has help in reducing the amount of drag that is created from this part of the bike.

PS - Interesting read as well DJ Pete..
Pretty much in my experiance its all of the above, best possible entry through the air, minimal disturbance across the bike and rider and put the air back behind you , every little bit of drag adds up and the force required to go faster increases exponentially
gif and vid to help see some of the interactions
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...mation.gif
how this translates in real life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyOmmOMFnbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE
Where I live is a 50km/h zone, so cant say too much about aerodynamics at high speed.
Beer influenced reply.
wished I had a beer flavoured reply....

but this will suffice, lol, so when talking loosely at college a long time ago, at the time we were told a F1 car could theoretically drive upside down and remain driven when it reached a speed of about 180klm/hr to sustain its own weight with downforce and aerodynamic pressures etc etc.

a mate of mine (naked gladius 650? I think derestricted) asked me out for a ride and I saw it well in this instance, watched him hit the 180k/h mark he was buffeting like crazy and he edged it to its max, as I pulled along side him I watched his speedo, 202-200-202-200-202-200.. he looked sideways at me, I was grinning and thinking about hitting his kill switch but decided against it and took off laughing.

a lot of bikes I see start dropping off at 180.

I love my busa, the end.
Hot Coffee , Fast :Biker:

Diesel.
Working theory 3 of beerology physics...

As it has been stated that 90% of a bikes power is to counter the aerodynamic drag of the bike and the known terminal velocity of a person that is not trying to be aerodynamic is about 115 mph (or 180kph) it could be assumed that the remainder of available power needs to be greater to get past the infamous 18o kph limit for a person.

Now who has my next beer???
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
In the days of the Triumph Bonneville (the original that is) it was reckoned that 45 hp (probably around 39 kilo-watts) was required to achieve the 'ton' a.k.a 100 mph or 160 kph. However, around the same time, diminutive dings on tiny 125 or even 50cc bikes were achieving the same sort of speed on a lot less horse power. I guess that was aerodynamics......
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
i concur with the front guard idea as i have experienced 230k an hour lift offs in 3rd full throttle, the alchemist was along side me when this happened on the hay plain ,so ive ditched the k6 gsxr1000 guard for the stock busa unit ,
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
That Gen II fat arse is useful for something then....glad I didn't get a tail tidy. The rear tail is designed to reduce turbulant air robbing the bikes forward motion...from what I understand.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
steve the rear hump and podded area is that, the tail tidy and mudflap are "because have to comply with so many different countries rules and laws we cant b arsed to fix the arse end look" go get ya tail tidy, it wont make a lick of difference at the speeds the hump and pods work at.
Hot Coffee , Fast :Biker:

Diesel.
Naa dont want to be continually pulled over by the safety police.....
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast