Tumut to Canberra
Hi All,

Every July I have to go to Canberra for a few days for work. Always take the opportunity for a ride ie: Melbourne to Canberra.
I usually go via Sale, Cann River, Bombala etc but this year I am going via Albury.

Rather than stick to the boring old Hume I am looking at alternative roads to make it a little more interesting.

Can anyone local or who has ridden them, tell me what the roads are like if I cut across from Tumut to Canberra via Bombowlee Creek Rd, Wee Jasper Rd and Mountain Creek Rd and then into Canberra.
Looked at them on google maps but that doesn't tell much about the quality or condition of the roads.

Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated.
Some great roads, but be careful during July, Don't travel early morning due to black ice, and be careful of wet corners. Some roads are closed to bikes due to needing to carry chains - but if you check conditions it's worth ignoring and taking the risk - they wont catch you anyway!

What type of riding are you after? tight windy roads, go through the Snowies via Thredbo, or more sweepers, go via Tumbarumba, Tumut and Cooma. But with all those roads you'll need to check conditions on the day incase of recent snow falls.

Pretty sure that road you are talking about has dirt on it and more situated to adventure bike type touring, I haven't done that road but I'll ask a coule of Tumut locals who are sure to have done it.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
if yur riding melb to canb.run shep to cooma via khankoban up th snowey mtns hwy into yass thn to canberra
(09-05-2013, 09:40pm)Ward P Wrote: Some great roads, but be careful during July, Don't travel early morning due to black ice, and be careful of wet corners. Some roads are closed to bikes due to needing to carry chains - but if you check conditions it's worth ignoring and taking the risk - they wont catch you anyway!

What type of riding are you after? tight windy roads, go through the Snowies via Thredbo, or more sweepers, go via Tumbarumba, Tumut and Cooma. But with all those roads you'll need to check conditions on the day incase of recent snow falls.

Pretty sure that road you are talking about has dirt on it and more situated to adventure bike type touring, I haven't done that road but I'll ask a coule of Tumut locals who are sure to have done it.

Thanks Ward,

Sweepers are the go for this trip. Concerned about black ice, so I thought I would cruise the outskirts of the Alpine area, hence this route. Was unsure if it was all sealed or not though as I couldn't get a good enough satellite image off google.
Any further info on that would be really great.
Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.Pi_thumbsup
I went through these tracks in mid spring last year on my DL....

Wardy's right about the ice.... It sits in the shadows till late arvo or later if the sun isn't that warm.

To top it off the track through the Brindabellas -although pretty- is dirt with some pretty bad corregations in places and water run-off places.

It's probably a bit under half of the trip that is dirt, and not that bad.... If you're a bit precious with your bike, don't do it, but otherwise it's a fun trip.

Also watch out for the weekend warriors coming through from the Canberra end, who four wheel drift through blind corners in both lanes. Wtf

Tathra 2010 - Best Non 'Busa.
Tathra 2011 - Best Non 'Busa.
Idiot2
(09-05-2013, 10:47pm)Mr Sensible Wrote: I went through these tracks in mid spring last year on my DL....

Wardy's right about the ice.... It sits in the shadows till late arvo or later if the sun isn't that warm.

To top it off the track through the Brindabellas -although pretty- is dirt with some pretty bad corregations in places and water run-off places.

It's probably a bit under half of the trip that is dirt, and not that bad.... If you're a bit precious with your bike, don't do it, but otherwise it's a fun trip.

Also watch out for the weekend warriors coming through from the Canberra end, who four wheel drift through blind corners in both lanes. Wtf

Good info. I prefer to keep my 'Busa on the black stuff. A short section of dirt road would be ok, but that much dirt I will give a miss.
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.Pi_thumbsup
More than welcome Kendo... It's better to find out here than the hard way......
Tathra 2010 - Best Non 'Busa.
Tathra 2011 - Best Non 'Busa.
Idiot2