Brakes Skipping
Sorry if this has been covered. I have browsed the archives but no luck.
When I am using the front brakes in traffic with gentle braking, the brakes are grabbing then letting go then grabbing etc. (skipping)
Cant notice it when using the brakes hard just gentle braking.
Any advice very much appreciated Confused
Cheers Mick
If it happens based on 1 rotation of the wheel it could be excessive warping of the brake rotor?
/
This is common on a lot of bikes and is usually just a soft spot on the pads. Don't panic about warped rotors. That shows up at all speeds. You can fix by removing the pads and giving them a rub back with emery paper or something.
As you say, when you apply the brakes and don't just let them glide, they will grab properly. You may have a very slight variation in rotor surface but not likely.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Mick you will probably need to have rotors ground or replace.
Get some one to check them with a dial indicator and measure amount of runout in them. If no runout then chances are the disc rotor has a hard spot in it so again grind or replace. Not a good thing especially on wet roads as it can create a wheel lock up situation due to the fact it has the same effect as squeezing and letting go the brake lever over and over.
Scuffing the pads will do nothing what so ever to solve the problem, in fact you can put brand new pads in and solve nothing in regards this .
I shall now await the onslaught ............... so be it small price to pay when someones safety is at stake
(12-01-2012, 09:38am)fasterfaster Wrote: Mick you will probably need to have rotors ground or replace.
Get some one to check them with a dial indicator and measure amount of runout in them. If no runout then chances are the disc rotor has a hard spot in it so again grind or replace. Not a good thing especially on wet roads as it can create a wheel lock up situation due to the fact it has the same effect as squeezing and letting go the brake lever over and over.
Scuffing the pads will do nothing what so ever to solve the problem, in fact you can put brand new pads in and solve nothing in regards this .
I shall now await the onslaught ............... so be it small price to pay when someones safety is at stake

+1
same effect as squeezing and letting go....sounds like he got ABS for free!!!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
I've gor cheap disks on my 14 and the exact same thing has happened in the last month. Bits of siht! I'll be binning them soon and getting some braketech rotors from Ray.
Thanks everyone for your valued knowledge and input.

I think Pete might be on the ball (Thanks Again Pete)
I will get them measured.
I noticed it at about 8K`s(almost 29k now) but it went away, also notice it more in hot weather.

Cheers Mick Grouphug
Do as you see fit. I stand by my advice and if it is a minor on/off feeling you get at only very low speeds, I repeat, It's common and most people ignore it with no problem.
By all means, check for runout on the disks. If it's as you describe, there probably isn't any.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Busgo I am due for new pads so I think this time I will get them done at my local and while he is there also get him to check the
run-out, warp.
Cheers
Mick Pi_thumbsup
Read
Popcorn time.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Popcorn ............sorry not popcorn time simply a waste of time is all.