any hints about a traction control and abs busa coming out soon?
Is there a case for ABS working in reverse or being counter-productive I wonder?
For example it might be similar to an extra 40hp at the back wheel. The rider then adjusts to that and consequently, his overall speed and also risk taking capabilities go UP. His overall skill levels may remain the same or even go down in the new scheme of things.
So having ABS may give one the feeling that OK, pushing it harder will be OK because ABS is there to bail out therefore the reverse happens and the results can be more death defying stupidity.
Perhaps someone who already has ABS can comment.
I know that if on a particular stretch of road that if I am going too fast and REALLY need ABS to get around a corner, I should not have been traveling at that speed in the first place. However, everyone makes mistakes right?
Same could be said for traction control FP.
(21-10-2010, 12:51pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Is there a case for ABS working in reverse or being counter-productive I wonder?
For example it might be similar to an extra 40hp at the back wheel. The rider then adjusts to that and consequently, his overall speed and also risk taking capabilities go UP. His overall skill levels may remain the same or even go down in the new scheme of things.
So having ABS may give one the feeling that OK, pushing it harder will be OK because ABS is there to bail out therefore the reverse happens and the results can be more death defying stupidity.
I know that if on a particular stretch of road that if I am going too fast and REALLY need ABS to get around a corner, I should not have been traveling at that speed in the first place. However, everyone makes mistakes right?

I think you're on the money champ. Haven't heard any good reports about abs on bikes either. Maybe they work better with four wheels than two?
(21-10-2010, 07:04pm)damo666 Wrote:
(21-10-2010, 12:51pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: Is there a case for ABS working in reverse or being counter-productive I wonder?

I think you're on the money champ. Haven't heard any good reports about abs on bikes either. Maybe they work better with four wheels than two?

I think you're on drugs champ.
It is designed as a safety device to be used in an emergency. You wouldn't be purposely riding around trying to activate the ABS every time you want to stop just because it is fitted to your bike.
I wonder if they had this conversation about drum V's disc brakes back in the day?
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
No I am not on drugs if that reference is for me, but thank you for the insult...though trying to make some genuine sense for some people I do need drugs and some US marines as well.

I should add that the same deal applies to TYRES and how riders of HP motorcycles automatically chose track or close to track rubber for general street use. A very old and reknowned ex racer told me that most people chose the wrong tyres and inflate them incorrectly as well.
So I wonder now, could he be on drugs too?

If you are not on drugs, then maybe this question is understandable.
The argument is this;
do people exceed the limit of their limited skill levels by opting for some kind of perceived advantage in equipment or technology which for practical purposes have no effect on their riding skills?
I know I don't need drugs to answer that!

I also have first hand experience with people who habitually create situations which force the abs or traction control to activate, then also opt to switch them off and do the same! FUN FUN FUN!!!
It's the next level of fun, like a computer game, except it's for real.
That's OK, but lets be honest and ask ourselves do we need this or how are we going to use it?
ABS/ traction control is not like a helmet where the basic application is very simple...yet many people still get THAT wrong.
I will now go and take some drugs.
Mate - wouldn't want to be a rider to do this - 'people who habitually create situations which force the abs or traction control to activate' this is more for cars.
You are lucky if you get a chance on the bike - usually it's one wrong move and that's it.

Cheers
Bill
(24-10-2010, 04:13pm)Bill Gaheer Wrote: Mate - wouldn't want to be a rider to do this - 'people who habitually create situations which force the abs or traction control to activate' this is more for cars.
You are lucky if you get a chance on the bike - usually it's one wrong move and that's it.

Cheers
Bill

With respect, I think the first thing riders will do, (those with the money to buy a high power ABS and Traction Control bike), is to play with, or see if they have the gumption to try these things out.

Infact, I think they buy these electronic aids in order to try them out at their limits, or at the riders' limits whichever comes first. Otherwise why bother with them?

Imagine the the comment..."wow I cracked it open in second around a corner to full power and the traction control just took care of it and I rear-wheel drifted with the front wheel lifting..." will be the standard starting point of what people want to do. Like wheelies, lets get the thing going on one wheel!

My point is, (and I bow out at this point)
having these electronic computer controlled dynamics is not as safe as riding in such a manner where you do not encounter the need for their use in the first place, by the use of SKILL!
This begs the question then, who really wants to ride safely?
I know I don't, when I see an opportunity to go all the way in 3rd, for example! As for one wrong move...many have survived many "wrong" moves, me included.
I'm with Troy (Leviathan), I think your on drugs too champ Ghastly
I have had ABS and non-ABS bikes....I don't ride them any differently to each other...
(24-10-2010, 09:01pm)duc13 Wrote: I'm with Troy (Leviathan), I think your on drugs too champ Ghastly

+2 Lol3
(24-10-2010, 08:16pm)FalcoPerigri Wrote: My point is, (and I bow out at this point)
having these electronic computer controlled dynamics is not as safe as riding in such a manner where you do not encounter the need for their use in the first place, by the use of SKILL!
This begs the question then, who really wants to ride safely?
I know I don't, when I see an opportunity to go all the way in 3rd, for example! As for one wrong move...many have survived many "wrong" moves, me included.
Using skill is all well and good if you have it, but we all sit at varying levels of skill. In a youtube video showcasing ABS testing on Fireblades you will see what I mean.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kO6ltk3a0
The riders with more experience with braking could get almost identical stopping distances with both bikes. However, the difference in stopping distances without ABS start to drastically increase when moving down the skill levels.

By all means, keep ABS optional or allow it to be turned off. But it is just plain stupid to dismiss an extra safety feature on a vehicle as potentially dangerous as motorcycles. And even those who can match ABS results with pure skill must admit that they wouldn't do so well in an actual emergency situation when everything goes from great to horrifying in a split second.
If the riders with more experience could only match ABS under test conditions, surely it could not be any better out in the real word when something comes out of the blue.