USB Wiring help please
Hey all, I wish to wire in a USB outlet on my K8 to hook up my phone.
Question is, what voltage do the USB systems run on?

I don't think I will have any issues with finding somewhere to wire in, & will fit a waterproof inline blade fuse.

Any assitance from the more electrical/electronically minded appreciated.

Thanks,
[Image: fc9450cb-86fb-4774-a1ac-5a6bb7a02823.jpg]
The simplest way would be to put a cigarette lighter socket in, with an inline fuse on that, then get a car adapter for your phone.

You can get a weatherproof socket and mount it within easy reach, or like I did just leave it under the seat (held in place with the rubber over the battery) and run the cord out to the tank bag.
Tathra 2010 - Best Non 'Busa.
Tathra 2011 - Best Non 'Busa.
Idiot2
USB are a DC voltage... they normally operate in the low end range.. .05-4.5 volts but can take up to 13.5 that I know of...
the issues isn;t so much what the USB can handle but will there be any issues hooking up your 14+ V bike system to your phone that might only want 6V???
It's been many years since I really played with DC differentials, but I know that re-charging a 12V drill battery with a 18V charger works but the battery gets awlful hot.
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
You'll find most USB charger plugs will have a DC-DC voltage converter built in to give the required voltage so you should just be able to wire it straight in. (never opened one up but I assume would work on a zener diode for voltage regulation) Yep 5 volts!
As suggested though, if you were to put in a cigarette lighter attachment, then a USB plug into that, you have the both 12volt and 5 volt alternatives.

When I put my Oxford grips on, I ran a relay from the battery, switched off the lights circuit. The relay has a spare output, so that's where I am going to run a cigarette socket from that.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Heres what I did...
Under hump installed a 12V ciggie socket direct to battery with an in-line fuse.. works great for recharging anything that has a car charger unit and has the benefit of me plugging in my trickle charger when bike is stored to maintain battery
for $12.95 I bought a ciggie socket double adapter.. leaves me a spare socket when I have my USB car charger plugged in... from the USB charger I run a simple USB extension lead to anywhere on bike I want..

All nice and easy and cheap plus if any part breaks down I can replace it
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

Evening all...
here is a quick ebay search...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Motorcycl...2582044b52

Seems to have everyone covered.
Nice find gixxer
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

USB 5.5 volt power supply is normal.
I used to use an adapter but after some time it did not loose parts inside.
Now I use a kit from Velleman K1823 this is an adjustable power supply.
Adjustable power supply 1.2-25 volt 1 amp.
I use one in the front en one in the rear wiht using a Charger also for mine Midland G7 XT

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   2.0) Voeding vanvoor langs het dachboard.jpg (Size: 94.92 KB / Downloads: 91)
.jpg   2) Rear voeding 5.5V1A & Charger 4.8V100mA.jpg (Size: 123.28 KB / Downloads: 91)
Thanks for the replys guys.

I have gone down the cigarette lighter socket route on my ZRX many years ago, but I thought there may be a more modern compact way of doing this now USB are so popular.

Gixxer good info mate.

Fester good feed back on electrics as usual, not a route I will take but great info all the same.

Think I will just go the weather proof under the seat so I can knock it out this weekend from locally sourced parts. Probaly upgrade to Gixxers lead when I have time to wait for deliveries.

Last minute crap.

Cheers guys.
probably a bit late
but aldi sells a combine cig lighter
with usb. jat.
pete
08 gen 2 grey
(28-08-2013, 09:53am)pete Wrote: probably a bit late
but aldi sells a combine cig lighter
with usb. jat.

Cheers pete, I will look into that while I am in Brisbane.
Morning all. The answer is Yes, there is a much better and modern way to do it.
I use a 3BR POWERSPORTS USB system. It's hard wired into the bike, fully waterproof usb2 power supply. Mine is mounted next to the front left reservoir, that's their recommendation for the gen2.
The kit comes at exact length and shows the mounting path through the right side of the frame etc.
I use it for my Garmin GPS, my iPhone and my GoPro.
Adventure Moto in Sydney are the national distributor.
Cost me about $45.
Every (k) over is a THRILLER ! Pi_tongue

2012 AHC BOTY Best Gen 2
2013 VVMC Best Japanese
2013 Australian Hayabusa Show & Shine BEST IN SHOW
2013 AHC BOTY Bike Of The Year Trophy
Cheers Alchemist, will search that & have a squiz.

Sound great.