hydraulics to drive the front wheel ! Two-wheel-drive TT600
Yamaha’s reigning 500cc World MX champion Andrea Bartolini has showcased the company's two-wheel-drive TT600 prototype in public for the first time. The machine, which employs hydraulics to drive the front wheel, has been in development for a number of years and is likely to be a forerunner for a number of road and off-road models.

“Impressive. Very impressive,” commented the Italian after his first outing. “The bike is so easy to ride ... I tested the TT600 on sand and found that on the fast sections the front wheel is always on contact with the ground aiding traction and control at the front end. It is so stable ? not a hint of the ‘shake’ you normally get through the handlebars.”

Andrea was equally impressed through the twisty bits, says Yamaha.“ You can turn quicker because you get the benefit of power coming through both wheels, which gives you more speed in the centre of the turn. Mind you, it takes a bit of getting used to because as you open the throttle in a tight turn the traction is so good that it takes you off what you think is the ideal racing line!”

(Ed's note: we point out with some pleasure that Ian Drysdale of Australia first developed a working version of this idea in an incredibly adventurous 2WD & 2W-steer prototype several years ago. Long-time Yamaha Europe prototype road-bike tester David Bean is also complimentary about the idea and its dynamics.)

Busa Two-wheel-drive , Id like to see that.
The front wheel is always on contact with the ground aiding traction Just what the busa needs.

<i>Edited by: LARDASS at: 30/3/06 5:05 pm
</i>
Interesting concept, but useless for people like Grant.
His front wheel hardly ever touches the ground!
<i></i>
6 year old news....

I'd guess that this hasn't taken off because of the way hydraulic oil heats up, especially when forcing high volumes of it through small fittings. Petes turbo project<i></i>
Yes old news. <i></i>