Busa Braces
Hey Guys and Gals

Any of you busa jockeys ever fitted the braces on the frame under the rear seat - fits between the alm top rail and the rear footpeg mount - i think. Interested to hear some feedback. I was reading in a pommie mag about the back frame breaking under the rear seat and this option was given as the fix. From the mag i got the impression the bloke had -- wait for it -- wait for it -- yes panniers fitted. The weight in them broke the frame. The question needs to be asked here -- why would you put panniers on a busa -- a bit like putting saddle bags on a racehorse i reckon. Anyone ever had the frame break???.

Baz
Actually there were some very nice stylised paniers that shaped well to the busa (which would be handy for the occasional tour with pillion). I believe they were pulled from the market early in the piece because of the frame issue and Suzuki pointing the finger at paniers.
Baz, there are several topics with pics and all on this board somewhere. Happy searching.
If you'd said 'why put panniers on a GixxerThou" I'd agree. But the busa makes a good SPORTStourer if you want it to be. Although I think it makes a good SPORTS commuter as well. And I guess Panniers could be handy in the touring case.
Except for fragile Busa subframes tho..

paulh
Go to the Corbin website (yes the same ones who make the seats) and check out their beetle back solid panniers for the Hayabusa. Don't fit the 2003 though...

www.corbin.com/suzuki/gsxr1300bags.shtml To the last I will grapple with thee; from Hell's heart I stab at thee; for Hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Hmmmm - i detect i may have put foot in mouth on panniers. Well (humble humble) its just i have never seen a busa fitted with em. I am planning to be at PI this year so i guess they could come in handy. (humble humble). I have now read other posts on subject and now am enlightened.

G'day
The 'bus is a great sportstourer, and was originally marketed as such - the ultimate sportstourer. Until the frames broke. Then it was the ultimate sportsbike.
And Givi made panniers, but withdrew them.
Go to www.tts-performance.co.uk for a look at their braces, then make a pair. Or, as in my case, a mate made a couple of pair - for me, him, and his missus. They seem to work OK. No breaks yet, anyway.
And another mate has experienced breaks twice without braces or strengthening.
We tour two-up regularly, and use a Gearsack rack with a bag totalling 50 or 70 litres. The one that when expanded is about 3 feet across!! It affects handling probably, but I'm no Mick Doohan in the first place.Or you could fabricate brackets that accept Givi panniers, but you might find your pillion's feet cramped for room. They look OK, though.
Does any of this help?
And of course, Suzuki now use steel subframe instead of alloy, so braces are unnecessary. Steel does not work-harden as does alloy when flexing.
Regards
Kevin
Well you guessed it - its broke!. I had a look at the photos from previous posts and then checked the area and found a crack starting in the flat piece where it bolts on the sub frame on the right hand side. Will do much complaining to Suz Aust. (if only to vent my spleen) as i can see i should not expect to much sympathy from them.:"> :">