Attention Tech Heads
Here's one for you.
I want to keep Outlook (not express) running all the time.
At the moment it minimises to system tray but if I accidently click on the close button (x) it closes the program of course.
Now there must be a way to deactivate the close button (lots of programs do this) or modify the reg so that when I click it it minimises instead of closes...
Help! Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when
going past a manned speed camera.
Let's all give them a protest blast!

You can make a difference!
More Info

DJ,
The active window in "Windows" uses standard code for the layout. Which is why it is so popular. You get standard behaviour and can expect a Window frame to behave the same in every itterance. By that I mean if you click on the edge of a frame you can move it to where you want it, If you click on the corner of a frame you can resize the window etc.
The Minimize, maximise and close buttons are also standard windows items. If you jiggle the code for 1 window, it will apply across the board to every frame you open.
I suggest you be carefull not to close the applications you don't want to close.
If you are concerned about how long it takes Outlook to open, I suggest you may need to perform some maintenance on your mailbox.
Make sure you empty the deleted items bin and also check through your sent items folder and clear that out as well.
The bigger your mailbox the longer it will take to open of course.
You can add a size column to the window by going to the View menu item and add the "size" field to your current view.
This allows you to list items by size and you can ditch the big suckers.
After you clean out your mailbox, you then need to compact your personal folder, if you have one, because windows does not automatically do it and it will not recover empty space unless you compact it. Rgds BUSGO
That sort of makes sense.
But how come some programs work that way so you can't exit them by mistake?
Why can't you tweak just Outlook program in the reg.
I know their is a tweak to min to tray (it's built into 2003 Outlook) so why can't you do it for the close (X) button? Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when

More Info

I'll admit Pete, that I have never been asked to try it.
I'll dig around and see what I can find at work.
I don't bother with Outlook at home. I stick to a combo of webmail and Outlook Express which I find more suitable for the home PC.
I still think you are treading on thin ice by not wanting to close a Mail application for any reason. Imagine if you get hit by an Outlook trojan or worm. Every time you start up you cop it again. By the way, I forgot to mention to make sure you TURN OFF the AUTO PREVIEW feature in Outlook. If you do receive a hostile message it will activate as soon as you highlight it when AUTO Preview is turned on.

Rgds BUSGO
Thanks Busgo,
I'll keep all that in mind.
I've always kept email client running in background.
If I had a dollar for every reformat I've done over the years...
Think my email program scanner is very good though..but if a friend gets a virus I'm gone.
I use Choicemail One... Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when

More Info

Sorry Pete,
I have not had time to follow up on your question.
Best stay away from the x button in Outlook till I get back with a better option.
Here is another tip though.
Do a full shutdown and restart at least once a week just for the hell of it.

Rgds BUSGO