Fuel Pump issue
Riding home last night, pitch black, just turned into Biddaddaba Creek rd and bugger me it stops. Bike not road. Tried restart but no fuel pump noise to be heard when switching on. Lifted the tank and fuel pump whirred into life and I carried on home no problem. Bad connection I though. Got home took plug off, cleaned it up made sure everything was dry and dirt free, plugged back in, started no problem. This morning, started it up to go to work, into 1st, and it died on its arse again. No fuel pump noise again didnt have time to mess about with it so went in car. Tonight got home armed with multimeters and amps clamps circuit testers etc and the bitch is starting every time. Any thoughts guys and girls... fuel pump or bad connection somewhere ?? Its a 2001, in tank pump, done 80000kms, filters have been replaced 2yrs ago just before I bought it, around 40000km.

Any help is appreciated thanks
Had similar problem with my FZ1..Connector had corroded on pump itself and wouldn't contact properly..Quoted $660 for new pump thru Yamaha,couldn,t buy just pump harness..Fixed with 30c connector from auto sparky..You may have to pull pump to check..hope it helps
As you check the connectors already and considering that lifting the tank action seems to "fix" the problem, I say it is mechanical. Something is getting jamed inside maybe Confused
You might also check that red slider on the RHS. You might have knocked it into an "off" position..
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
2001! It's one of the oldies. I'd check all connections especially plugs at rectifier in tail and stator under seat. Even if not related to this problem, it's likely to be good preventative medicine for somethng else - it's the only real problem I've had on my 2000.
Carpe Diem!
(18-11-2011, 08:23pm)Throwdown! Wrote: 2001! It's one of the oldies. I'd check all connections especially plugs at rectifier in tail and stator under seat. Even if not related to this problem, it's likely to be good preventative medicine for somethng else - it's the only real problem I've had on my 2000.

i thought they had an external pump, gonna check em all anyway, thanks
Got a spare tested good pump if required.
(19-11-2011, 11:49am)donovandon100 Wrote: Got a spare tested good pump if required.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, haven't had time to have a good look today but will tomorrow
Just had a very similar problem after refitting and doing a test drive with a rebuilt 01 Busa Motor in buggy ( Thanks Camel Clap )

Ignition all switches on and Dash/Gauges cycle up as per Norm
No fuel pump noise and nothing @ start button

Turned out to be a dirty connection at the mainplug for EFI
Not sure where this plug is on the bike but may be worth having a look at
Sprayed with WD40 and blew out with Compressed air
All good
(19-11-2011, 10:03pm)Fineline22 Wrote: Just had a very similar problem after refitting and doing a test drive with a rebuilt 01 Busa Motor in buggy ( Thanks Camel Clap )

Ignition all switches on and Dash/Gauges cycle up as per Norm
No fuel pump noise and nothing @ start button

Turned out to be a dirty connection at the mainplug for EFI
Not sure where this plug is on the bike but may be worth having a look at
Sprayed with WD40 and blew out with Compressed air
All good

Mine cranks over and starts every time again now and I done nothing to it. My main concern is I live in a fairly remote area with limited phone coverage so if it breaks down I'm a bit screwed. 50% of my riding is done at night and minimal traffic comes this way to pass a message on. Bit of a bugger.

If I dont ride it I'll not find out what it is and if it breaks down then I'm bloody stranded

Go through it carefully looking at connectors etc, and if you can't find anything obvious get the pump from Donovan
If your pump has been pushing hard against a partially blocked filter for any length of time it may be buggered
some pumps respond to a knock at this stage to get them to run again for a short while, and are temp dependant
had a few over the years on cars that when you are left stranded, hit it with whatever is handy then drive home to replace it
Cheers Maj. I gone through it with a fine toothcomb this morning. Pump stopped again, lifted tank and it started again. I've just put another pump in there from an 05 I bought off Ebay ages ago cos I though it might be useful one day ( got a transmission for the same reason :) ) Been for a quick spin and seems okay at the minute. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I go to work on it. 10km of rough arsed goat track road, then 50 of normal stuff.

Thanks again for the help, offers and advice
Replacement pump seems to have fixed the issue