flat back tyre
probably a silly question but whats the general rule when you have a hole in the tyre ,do you plug (if so how long will it last) or buy a new tyre?

cheers
tas busa Wrote:probably a silly question but whats the general rule when you have a hole in the tyre ,do you plug (if so how long will it last) or buy a new tyre?

cheers

Most people will say you're taking a huge chance with your life when plugging a tire. But I have plugged 2 in the years past ...with no issues. It's kinda hard to throw away a tire that has a flat when you just put it on the bike the same week.
I have used plugs before and it lasted the life of the tyre (which was down to the canvas) no worries at all. As warputer said it is kind of hard tossing a tyre with little to no kilometer's on it. But for piece of mind is your life really worth less than $400 if something goes wrong?! That is the question you have to ask yourself.
Depends on teh speeds you intend doing - normal riding is quite safe and I have plugged tires in the past, supposedly you should not go on the track with a plug but I have before although I would not recommend it. Normal riding why throw a good tire away
Egos; everyone got one
busakid08 Wrote:Depends on teh speeds you intend doing - normal riding is quite safe and I have plugged tires in the past, supposedly you should not go on the track with a plug but I have before although I would not recommend it. Normal riding why throw a good tire away

I'm with Busakid on this one for running around town-ish run it out,
Hi speed or interstate I wouldn't risk it.
thanks everybody for that , got the bike back from the shop and he'd "patched it" . some sort of glued patch on the inside which he said was better than a plug.
i dont go silly so it should do the job ok, but i'm nearly allways two up so i might price a replacement.
make sure its right for the toy run in dec.

cheers tas busa
That'll be a mushroom, much more secure than a plug because its glued from the inside of the tyre.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
cant go wrong with the mushroom. almost as good as new imho. i wudnt worry about bit of speeds, just perhaps no long sustained 300+.......as if lol
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
a standard tyre plug is all you need.
i done thousands of kilometers of stupidly fast riding when i took Busra ( my busa) overseas with about 3 plugs in each tyre, ( heaps of punctures over there)
no dramas what soever.
wich country did you go to
I still remember my first project here in Australia, in Lane Cove. I had just moved in - bought a 00 Busa with about 90% rear tyre. The project was in a manufacturing company with lot of issues with its workers (Mass rally etc) and I was a third party contractor. In my 3rd week of riding to work and parking in the employees parking lot - I got a flat rear (I live in Lane Cove - so the ride was very short) - since I was new and didnâ€t know anyone or even the Honda dealer in Lane Cove at that time. I ended up riding the bike home and then back to the dealer (total 6 Ks). I ended up changing the tyre as the screw had caused 2 holes next to each other - (my first flat tyre on a Hayabusa - my first flat tyre in a first world country - 6 yrs in US and no flat tyre.)

Replaced the Tyre at a cost of $360 installed - went to work had a flat in the next 2 days again - same location. This time was a bit smart so filled it with some air then - took it to the Honda dealer in Lane Cove and costed me $45 to fix a flat.

Coming week -I started keeping eye at work and in my garage for any loose screws etc. at work found one fine day that there was a screw kept right under my right tyre so when I back up slowly it will get stuck in the tyre and will cause a flat - complained to the company - management. Nothing happened.

No more riding to work - (as such it was only 4k one way). In a few months moved to a different project and NEVER has a flat till now - have gone through 2 rear tyres after that and 15000K.

Some times I ended up thinking what in the world would the person who was planting all theses screws get out of me being strangled - killed due to a flat rear tyre - then I was just his/her anger towards their own company.

Good to be (NOT DEAD) alive as per Jeremy.

Cheers,

Bill
I found it interesting that some of you have managed to have your tyres repaired.

I got a screw in a near new back tyre (2000km) a few months ago that mad me fairly pissed off. When I rang around dealerships and tyre dealers looking for someone to repair it no one would. Some said they'd plug a tyre on a postie bike but definately not on a new Busa.

After parting with a wad of cash I got another BT015 and am keeping my fingers crossed I don't get another puncture. I got some value out of the tyre with the screw in it. I'm still scraping bits of rubber from the underside of the back of the bike.

If anyone knows where I can get a tyre plugged in South Aust it would be a handy future reference that I hope I never need.
My wife works in a HR role and in a past job she was involved as a mediator in an industrial dispute.
She had 3 screw punctures over a 3 month period - all on the left rear tyre of the car.
If they weren't planted, I'd be surprised.

Some arseholes don't come with a brain attached.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
jessie928 Wrote:a standard tyre plug is all you need.
i done thousands of kilometers of stupidly fast riding when i took Busra ( my busa) overseas with about 3 plugs in each tyre, ( heaps of punctures over there)
no dramas what soever.

I'm with Jess on this one. When I used to ride my SV from home to Caringbah everyday my tyres looked like porcupines. That's our brilliantly maintained Sydney roads for you (that's why they charge us to use 'em. Because of the nail donations to re-inforce my tyresLol3)
It's a week by week charade.
The tyre manufacturers etc err on the side of caution. Why risk plugging a tyre when they can sell you a new one?

Ive had five punctures in four years - three in the last year. All, except the first have been plugged with the standard spagetti (which "mushrooms" out on the inside of the tyre anyway) without any problem. I have not modified my riding because Ive got a "plugged" tyre.

Having a puncture, where the air escapes over a short period of time (several seconds or more) is usually not catastrophic whereas having a blowout probably is - but you cant plug a blowout. If a plug in a tyre fails it will probably act just like the original puncture.

I was terrified of getting a flat until I "survived" my first which wasn't nearly as dramatic as I'd feared.

Story 1.

I was on the track and being new to riding was keen to get to 160kph (I was on a harley after all). Anyway having reached my target speed I eased off on the throttle and noticed a little wobble (and I mean almost imperceptable wobble). I paid no attention thinking it was my nerves etc and continued riding for another 4-5km around a couple of bends (again a slight wobble). It was only until I slowed almost to 20-30kph that the front tyre collapsed.

I didn't have a puncture - something hit and broke the vlave stem so I had a "hole" in my tyre about 5mm so that air escaped quickly but i was still able to ride without any dramas for 4-5km.

Story 2.

Again at the track (one of my first rides on my Busa) I was riding with some friends and going around some long corners about 140 - 160 kph. I felt the bike was a bit unsettled but thought it was just me pushing it a little bit and not having settled with a new bike yet. Continued for another 10-15km when we stopped and it was noticed I had a flat rear tyre with probably only 10psi in it (or less). Plugged it on the spot and continued.

Moral of the stories;

1. A puncture is unlikely to cause a catastrophe so even if a plug fails its probably no drama so plug it.

2. The string rubber type plug that you get from any auto shop, Kmart etc works so do it yourself (and carry one on you. Im happy to help out but am getting pissed off with fixing other m/c punctures while I should be riding).

Cheers