TRE
I went to Dicks Smiths and bought a 6.8k resistor. Actually cost 2cents and with rounding down it cost me nothing.
Then I went to the local Jap eng. import wrecker and cut some connectors off an auto engine wiring loom. It took some hunting but I found male & female connectors eventually.
Went home and installed the resistor into the wiring loom of my 99 Busa at the gear position sensor without cutting any of the original wiring loom.
First thing I noticed was the throttle glitch just off idle dissappeared. Rapid throttle response in the low rpm was also improved. Riding in traffic has become much easier when using small throttle openings.

When snapped open in first gear it does seem to lift the front allot earlier.

Other changes are that it seems to run cooler or perhaps it takes longer to reach operating temp.

I'm not sure if I need to remap to gain full benifits.

Much has been said about the effects on the ram air system but I sure cant tell..... still feels damm fast to me

Ardvark

<i></i>
Thanks for the advice.
I'll give it a go today & let you know the results.
Glen <i></i>
Well I took your advice & went to Dick Smith's & got the resistor for free.
I did the mod & am very impressed with the difference.
It does make it much more pleasant to ride in traffic.
Throttle response has improved dramatically.
Thanks again,
Glen <i></i>
You've been a busy little beaver today... <i></i>
Its problably the cheapest mod with the most amount of gain, and also easy enough to undo what you have done, should you not be impressed with the results.

Glad I could be of some help to you Glen....

Cheers
Ardvark <i></i>
Yes I have been a busy little beaver today!
I'm taking the busa out to Willowbank on Saturday to run it down the quarter mile(yikes).I've done the clutch mod,16 tooth front sprocket,42 tooth rear & a set of pipemaster cans.
It's about 150hp on the dyno(150 sounds a bit weak but feels powerful enough for me)
I'll let you guys know what times I do(if I can stay on).
Glen <i></i>
Excuse me Mr Ardvark,

You say the throttle response was quicker by installing the above mod. How does this make it possible by installing it to the GEAR position sensor? Shouldn't it be wired into the Throttle sensor or something???? Unsure how it works?

Cheers, Peter
<i></i>
CAN YOU TELL ME EXACTLY HOW TO DO THIS MOD ,OR WERE IT IS ALLREADY DESCRIBED.I WOULD APRECIATE YOUR HELP A GREAT DEAL.MANY THANKS .STUART <i></i>
I'll do this mod as soon as someone can tell me where this elusive gear position sensor is. I've looked everywhere for this bloody little green wire(I hope it's green!) Is the sensor located near the gearbox/speedo sensor? I've had the fairings off both sides looking for it, so I've obviously missed something basic.

If someone could shed a little light on where I find this wire I'd be eternally grateful.(for this week anyway)

cheers,

WARD <i></i>
Ok,
I did some more reading - it's the pink wire - right? (and no, I'm not colour blind - just a little slow)
There is a pink wire off the connector on the speedo sensor so I'm assuming that this is the elusive 'green' wire. Does this mean that changing the impedence on this wire confuses the computer into thinking the bike is actually going faster than it is? (ie: the computer thinks it's in a higher gear)
confused? . . . I sure am, but I'm gonna try that one.
Now the only question is, is the resister connected in parallel with the sensor or does it replace it totally? My first guess is in parallel, but then my background is electronics and not mechanics.
Wish me luck . . . I think I'll need it.

cheers,

WARD <i></i>
Nope. That didn't work!

HELP!!!

WARD

P.S. resisters are dearer up here in NSW. It cost me 6c - shocking!(still they rounded it down to five which was big of 'em) <i></i>
The 6.8K ohm resistor does not go in parallel as you put it. It must be connected (looped back) to the ECM side and not the sensor side. The sensor output wire (pink) is left open circuit. The resistor wiring is from memory, pink to blue(ground). Pull out the white 3 pin plug under tank on LHS and have a good look. Two of the wires have to end up being through connected. The third wire, a pink wire, is the sensor output voltage. It needs to be open circuited (cut). Now the connector half that goes to the ECM has one end of the resistor soldered to the pink wire that was just cut and the other end connected to the ground wire which remains through connected. This mod is much quicker and simpler to do than to explain. Put another way:- cut pink wire and leave open circuit on the sensor side. Instal loop back resistor from ground and pink pink wires toward ECM. If you still have problems yell and I'll lift me tank and tell you in more detail. <i></i>
Hi all,

Just come over from 200mph, but can't get an answer from anyone there can you help? Have just done the TRE mod and if I blip the throttle response is not very good at all feels like it's running rich. But the funny thing is, if I pull the clutch in and blip it it's fine should this happen?
<i></i>
You know if the TRE is set up right by setting fast idle to about 2krevs, then when you pull the clutch in, revs drop to aprox 1400. This is done with bike in neutral. The other symptoms that you mentioned, don't seem to point to the TRE as the source of the problem. Rather, the TRE may have made another mistuned aspect of the bike more obvious eg crappy fuel or butterflies need to be synched. Keep looking and good luck. <i></i>