Salary Sacrifice a Laptop
Righty then financial gurus.

I am looking to get a laptop that I can use for work and home purposes, and I would like to see if i can salary sacrifice the item through work. I believe there are tax advantages to doing this as you can then depreciate the item over the course of it's life.

Who's done it, is it beneficial, and what are the potential pitfalls. I will be asking at work tomorrow and seeing what can be done.

Regards
Graham
1hotBUSA
Strike a blow for freedom...Smash a speed camera!!!
Burn the Copper Silver and Gay Mardi Gras Pink!!!
Red/Grey and Blue Blacks Rule!!!
Graham,
My understanding is that the payments for the laptop come out of your pre tax salary, hence lowering your taxable income and the money to purchase the laptop is not taxed. I doubt if you will be able to claim any depreciation but you are able to salary sacrifice one laptop per year. You will find more detailed info on the ATO website.

Steve
yep sure as hell woth it. firstly the money to pay it is tax free, second you dont pay Grab Snatch and Take. third because you will have to sign something that more or less says you will use it for anything your employer requires ( dont mean much but) it becomes a legit tax deduction for the depreacition. got my last 2 laptops this way and will do another next year.

Tom "No Fear" Just means you aint goin quick enough yet !!!!!
Yep give Neil a call
Cheers Robert
World Wide CEO
Easyrider Imports
www.easyriderimports.com.au
E mailed our HR department today, athough that would be similar to talking to the HR department in a POW camp!!! Lets see where it goes.

Regards
Graham
1hotBUSA
Strike a blow for freedom...Smash a speed camera!!!
Burn the Copper Silver and Gay Mardi Gras Pink!!!
Red/Grey and Blue Blacks Rule!!!
Graham, depending on where you work and what the setup is there are many options such as pretax payments into Super, childrens school fees, car leasing . I also buys shares in the company I work for pretax.
I've done one through work this year.

A company called MacMillan Shakespear does all the administration for our employer. We pay for the laptop up front, and they reimbuse us through our salary from money removed from our pre-taxed pay.