Drivers are all stupid; its official!
I'm not sure how many states have already enacted rules to prevent turning right or u-turns over un-broken central white lines, but they are gearing up for it in WA. As I suspected its one of those "harmonisation of road rules" things. The main roads department is busy making changes so that they can bring in the rule here.

Now at the same time I've noticed that country roads have longer and longer sections being marked with double white un-broken lines. So I dropped a line to our seat-sniffing Transport Minister Buswell asking a few questions. I got a reply from an advisor on his behalf, full of the usual platitudes. One in particular summed up the attitude of these faceless civil servants, which I'll share:

Q: Have you considered reducing white lines on rural roads to only potentially dangerous spots and thereby allowing personal judgement on the safety of an overtaking manouvre based on personal risk assessment?

The answer started off with standard bull about how civil servants (who invaribly commute by bus or train) or scientists (who ride pushies) are better equipped to conduct extensive assessments. It then went on to say:

A: Many drivers, particulalrly the less experienced, can find it difficult to safely check for approaching traffic and judge the speeed at which it is travelling...etc etc

It is not considered apprpriate that such decision be left to the personal judgement of drivers

So all drivers are stupid, but motorcycle riders must be smart as according to this reply the rule doesn't apply to them! Police
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
(05-06-2011, 06:19pm)Belzybob Wrote: I'm not sure how many states have already enacted rules to prevent turning right or u-turns over un-broken central white lines, but they are gearing up for it in WA. As I suspected its one of those "harmonisation of road rules" things. The main roads department is busy making changes so that they can bring in the rule here.

Now at the same time I've noticed that country roads have longer and longer sections being marked with double white un-broken lines. So I dropped a line to our seat-sniffing Transport Minister Buswell asking a few questions. I got a reply from an advisor on his behalf, full of the usual platitudes. One in particular summed up the attitude of these faceless civil servants, which I'll share:

Q: Have you considered reducing white lines on rural roads to only potentially dangerous spots and thereby allowing personal judgement on the safety of an overtaking manouvre based on personal risk assessment?

The answer started off with standard bull about how civil servants (who invaribly commute by bus or train) or scientists (who ride pushies) are better equipped to conduct extensive assessments. It then went on to say:

A: Many drivers, particulalrly the less experienced, can find it difficult to safely check for approaching traffic and judge the speeed at which it is travelling...etc etc

It is not considered apprpriate that such decision be left to the personal judgement of drivers

So all drivers are stupid, but motorcycle riders must be smart as according to this reply the rule doesn't apply to them! Police

Yes well there is a big diference between Trucks Cars & Bikes so it should be left up to the driver/rider to make that decision
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
Any one been to New Zealand. They have dashed lines everywhere, even on blind corners, only using solid lines for crests. IT is obviously up to the driver to determine if it is safe to pass, not the type of line on the road!
I pity the fool who goes out tryin' a' take over da world, then runs home cryin' to his momma!
With all these markings being splashed all over the roads like a drum of runaway paint we are going to end up with more lines than Amy whinehouse could put up her nose and more arrows than a John Wayne movie...gotta love Australia for our up to date with the world system!!!
(05-06-2011, 09:04pm)drworm Wrote: Any one been to New Zealand. They have dashed lines everywhere, even on blind corners, only using solid lines for crests. IT is obviously up to the driver to determine if it is safe to pass, not the type of line on the road!

in new zealand our overtaking is governt by solid yellow lines our white dashed lines is the centre of the road. yellow line on your side of the road means no overtaking if the yellow line is on the other side of center line you can overtake if clear car coming other way cant and if its a yellow line both sides of the white centre line nothing can pass in either direction. our yellow line starts off dashed then goes to a solid yellow line the dashed part is to let the motorist know there is a no passing yellow line coming up. hope that clears the dashed white line up.

SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.