any camera guru's here
I,m looking at a few cameras and was wondering if anyone can tell me if this cannon EOS 550 is any good?
Thanks Dave
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-EOS-KISS-X4...345wt_1139
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
No Zoom ?

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(03-03-2011, 03:04pm)Greeny_SA Wrote: No Zoom ?
yes but how much I think depends on what lens is used,that's one thing I'm finding hard to get info on.
It's a nice DSLR camera, I just bought a Canon EOS 1000D

- only problem I now take too many pictures....:)
Off the top of my head, the 550 is one of the "starter" range (I have the 400) and it is a later version of mine. Pixels will be about 12 to18? Which is bloody good for all but professional use. Price depends greatly on the lens that comes with it. The zoom range on that one is ok but not great. Depends if you need a big zoom. The bigger the range, aperture, diameter, of the zoom the greater the $. I stick with Canon as I have interchangeable bits for them, and they are good $ value before going to Nikon.

Have a good search for body/lens combinations you might like. Prices come down for all but latest models, so you can't lose by spending a bit of time looking.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Not me..... Aristotle
Ill put my hand up,

Iv been a racing photographer for the last 3 years, have been published in a few magazines, my website is www.skidmarxphotography.com or you can look up skidmarx photography fanpage on facebook if u have it

Now some people may try and disagree, but its not always about having the "best" camera, u can have a great camera, with a shit lense u will get shit photos, or, u can have an avridge camera, with a great lense, u will get reasonably good photos

The 550d is a great entry level camera, i myself use the previous model 500d although iv spent near 10 grand on good lenses to suit, but if you have a look at my website, u will find majority of my photos were taken with the stock kit lenses, and i honestly still dont think i need a better camera body, as much as i would like one, after 3 years i still dont believe im using the entry level dslr to its full potential,

One thing i would stress though, dont let the salesman con u into buying the equivelent nikon, pentax or sony, the canon is definatly much more user friendly and better quality

Ash
And the whole zoom thing all depends on your wallet, my lenses range from a 15-85mm wich i use for most portraits and drag racing, all the way up to the massive 100-400mm canon L series, wich i use for offshore powerboat racing, surfing, and motocross
Thank's every one.Pi_thumbsup
Skidmark great pics on you're site,thanks for you're info.would a 15 to 55mm lens be ok or should I get a 15 to 85mm instead?
Mate they usualy come with an 18-55mm or something similer, id just grab that to start with, i know they lso sell the bodys in a twin lense kit, that may be a bit more to your liking, i bought the twin lense kit wich came with a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm kit lenses, wich i found great, and wasnt much more expensive, give it 6 months using the basic kit, then u will know exactly wat u need in the way of different/new lenses
(03-03-2011, 07:13pm)Skidmarx Wrote: Mate they usualy come with an 18-55mm or something similer, id just grab that to start with, i know they lso sell the bodys in a twin lense kit, that may be a bit more to your liking, i bought the twin lense kit wich came with a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm kit lenses, wich i found great, and wasnt much more expensive, give it 6 months using the basic kit, then u will know exactly wat u need in the way of different/new lenses
ThanksPi_thumbsup
You couldn't go wrong with the Canon550D

I have a Canon 300D - that's the original 8year old SLR 6.3meg
I went to upgrade it last year but on doing a side by comparison found it to be the same as the newest(then) Canon 550D.
So I bought a new lens instead. Smitten

Don't get into the megagpixel debate. Professional photographers that I know(newspaper) don't bother to shoot max. and with only 6.3meg I can blow up to A3 perfectly. (but I do upsize and resample thru photoshop for large prints)

Having said that, my old Canon300D body is starting to get sticky buttons now, has been dropped a couple of times, and the 550 has a few more features, and a bigger screen, so It'd be a good update. But I'll probably go the 5D (for wank value) and because I can write if off against the business.

But as Skidmarx said: It's all in the lens.

Spend the money on the glass!!
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Hi all

I waterski alot. Using a cannon 400d, what lense would be best for a 60-75ft rope?
/
Id personaly go for a zoom lense over a prime, i dont see why a 55-250mm wouldnt do the trick nicely, its a shame, coz i just sold one for $100
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/

http://shop.retrevo.com/
I have a Canon 400D for quite a few years now. Still have it and Love it.

I brought my self a 50D to play a bit more and as my other half would run off with my camera & lenses (when I wanted to take piccies!)

I brought a nifty 50, (1.8 50mm lens) cheap but great value to play with. I do like the kit lenses too. I guess the fun value lens I haven't yet used (due to other commitments) is my 70-200mm 2.8. It's also been pissing down rain up here for a couple of months.
Go hard, or Go home!