Mobile Speed Camera's now in NSW
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-nat...105ds.html

2 points left on my licence for the next 6 months, Its gotten to the point where I'm too scared to even 'do' the speed limit let alone go over it. So im considering a Bel STi XR - 100% Undetectable Radar Detector "AU/NZ".

So here's my concern, I know that the NSW Motor Traffic Act states;

Traffic Act 1909 No 5
Repealed version for 8 October 1999 to 30 November 1999(accessed 12 July 2010 at 15:27)

4AD Sale, purchase and use of prohibited speed measuring evasion articles

(1) A person must not sell or offer for sale, or purchase, a prohibited speed measuring evasion article.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) A person must not drive a motor vehicle, or cause a motor vehicle or trailer to stand, on a road or road related area if a prohibited speed measuring evasion article is fitted or applied to, or carried in, the vehicle.

Now a penalty unit in NSW is $110, so in theory a court could fine you up to $2200 for having one on your bike (or buying and selling one in NSW) but apparently there is no points loss or suspension of licence, the fine appears to be monetary only (as well as swiping your detector).

Can anyone confirm this as its looking like an attractive option?
In politics stupidity is not a handicap.
Napoleon Bonaparte .
People who have these things are the the ones most likely to 'speed', so why don't they make them legal and put up fixed signal senders in accident spots so people with them slow down. That would be road safety!

If they were guaranteed undetectable, I'd get one.
Carpe Diem!
Confirmed by phone with the RTA today. There are no demerit points or licence suspension for being caught using a Radar Detector in NSW. Court is discretionary to the police if you get busted, and even if you do, chances of you receiving the maximum fine are minimal.

To me this has to be a better option, buying one this weekend, sick of dodging the governments revenue raising.
Napoleon Bonaparte .
maby a laser jamer might hhttp://www.pashnit.com/product/cheetah_m27.htmlelp
(12-07-2010, 05:17pm)kevin Wrote: maby a laser jamer might help http://www.pashnit.com/product/cheetah_m27.html

looks good to me have a look
Here in W.A they are legal to have Yes but the new cameras the Police have out are undetectable Wtf. I have 2 units 1 for the car and 1 for the bike. I would recommend them to anyone as you may not even realise your speeding and then bang PoliceKnuppel2 they got you but at least with the radar detector you can measure your speed before they nick you.
I hear over there in NSW they have just brought out mobile speed cameras operating in the back of vansScary driving along the road. Question is are they detectable or like the W.A type.
They can detect the detectors, and go through you like a a dose of the salts untill its found , if you want to piss off the guy with powers to make life miserable a radar detector is a good way of doing it, speaking from a mates experiance when his truck was pulled over and a second unit arrived to help strip the truck out till it was found... in this case the offending artical was on the road side back a bit , probably still there ...
mobile cameras have been in operation in NZ for years!!!
station wagon/van on the side of the road...sometimes with a ladder on top(so you think its a Trades Person!)TrickyBastards Police

but they dont stick out like a sore thumb a 'brand new white Ford Territory' haha!
GenII Hunter Knuppel2
Think that story is a bit dodgy, they can ask you for it, or they can give you time to hand it in. They can't pull your vehicle to bits.

4AE Surrender and forfeiture of prohibited speed measuring evasion articles

(1) A police officer who reasonably believes that:

(a) a prohibited speed measuring evasion article is being sold or offered for sale in contravention of section 4AD (1), or

(b) a motor vehicle or trailer is standing or being driven in contravention of section 4AD (2) because of an article fitted or applied to, or carried in, the vehicle,

may require a person in possession of the article to surrender it immediately to the police officer or, in the case of an article fitted or applied to a motor vehicle or trailer and not immediately removable, may by notice in writing served on the owner of the vehicle require the owner to surrender the article within a specified time and in a specified manner to the Commissioner of Police.

(2) An officer of the Authority who is authorised in writing by the Authority for the purposes of this section and who finds a prohibited speed measuring evasion article fitted or applied to, or carried in, a motor vehicle or trailer may, by notice in writing served on the owner of the vehicle, require the owner to do either or both of the following:

(a) remove the article (if it is fitted to the vehicle),

(b) surrender the article within a specified time and in a specified manner to the Commissioner of Police.

(3) A person must comply with a requirement under subsection (1) or (2), whether or not he or she is the owner of the article concerned.

Napoleon Bonaparte .