Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
to revalve or not to revalve? - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Hayabusa Tyres, Wheels & Suspension (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: to revalve or not to revalve? (/showthread.php?tid=7586)

Pages: 1 2

to revalve or not to revalve? - Tag 13 - 03-07-2007

i am taking my suspension to get reworked soon up the north coast to mpe.

there are 2 options i have, one is getting the valving reworked and the other is getting it replaced with racetek valving.

who out there has had their suspension done and what do you suggest, going the extra and putting in the raceteks or just getting the stocko ones reworked..

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Volvi - 03-07-2007

you didnt mention stronger springs thats the most important need. re valves, whats the difference in costs? coz the forks are already open.

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Tag 13 - 03-07-2007

Volvi Wrote:you didnt mention stronger springs thats the most important need. re valves, whats the difference in costs? coz the forks are already open.

sorry, stronger springs are happening too. they will be happening regardless. its just the difference in valving options thats in question.

300 bucks between reworking the valving or replacing it with racetek

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - RaZz0R - 03-07-2007

may I ask - why are you doing it>?

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Volvi - 03-07-2007

why? only coz its probably the best mod anyone can do to the bike only prob is it has no show value so its way under rated. remember japs have put in a very spongy spring 75kg I think. bike is a different bike after redoing suspension, unless the rider is a 65kg lightweight. i did mine a while back, not re-valving tho.

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Maj - 03-07-2007

revalve is ok if you have someone very familiar with the bike, otherwise its teardown ,readjust try again till its right ,also have to know what right feels like (i have had good rear shocks and bad on the track bike on the same day, couldn't tell the difference but the good ones showed a quicker time)
gold valves are not that much different in flow to current std valves BUT there valve stacks are calibrated and come with charts ,and there recommendation is a good starting point .
how good is your suspension guy ?

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - spamanglenn - 03-07-2007

Frank ponds did my forks.He changed the springs(1kg) and reshimmed the stock valving with his modified needles and oil.Cost $400 bucks And i could easily notice 2 clicks of adjustment.Far better than stock but only half way to ohlins superbike valving for front end feel.You get what you pay for.I,m yet to hear anyone say they were happy with gold valves first time out.I don,t understand why, if the forks are still adjustable.Don,t people use the needles any more?Doing the forks is a must do if you like corners.A rear shock helps stop the pogo action as well.

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Tag 13 - 04-07-2007

RaZz0R Wrote:may I ask - why are you doing it>?

i am 125kgs in boxer shorts, needless to say i dont ride much in my boxers so ad a set of leathers, helmet, riding gloves and boots, then a turbo...

i would be around double the weight that suspension is designed for...

Maj Wrote:revalve is ok if you have someone very familiar with the bike, otherwise its teardown ,readjust try again till its right ,also have to know what right feels like (i have had good rear shocks and bad on the track bike on the same day, couldn't tell the difference but the good ones showed a quicker time)
gold valves are not that much different in flow to current std valves BUT there valve stacks are calibrated and come with charts ,and there recommendation is a good starting point .
how good is your suspension guy ?

suspension guy was referred to by a friend and is apparently very good..

mpe up the north coast.

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - BLACKZOOK - 04-07-2007

Tag, I had Racetec do mine with 1.2kg fork springs and gold valves the 1.2kg fronts are a little heavy for me as I only weigh a 100kg, I should have gotten 1.1kg's.

They also fitted a 17kg rear spring and gold valves to the rear but this was only needed for the longer swingarm.

All up was just over a grand and money well spent. She is just a touch to firm now but a nice all round compromise. Compliance and handling is a big improvement. You would need 1.1kg springs if you are still stock length.

BLACKZOOK Wrote:Tag, I had Racetec do mine with 1.2kg fork springs and gold valves the 1.2kg fronts are a little heavy for me as I only weigh a 100kg, I should have gotten 1.1kg's.

They also fitted a 17kg rear spring and gold valves to the rear but this was only needed for the longer swingarm.

All up was just over a grand and money well spent. She is just a touch to firm now but a nice all round compromise. Compliance and handling is a big improvement. You would need 1.1kg springs if you are still stock length.

i am much heavier. we are looking at around the 1.5mm mark as far as springs in the front go. me at 125, some riding gear, the turbo up front. it all ads up quickly.

everyone i have spoken to who has got their suspension beefed up seems to be happy with it..

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Maj - 04-07-2007

Turbo is no heavier than a std exhaust, just a little more bias to the front.
Ask a local circuit racer who is good in your area, they will know .

Maj Wrote:Turbo is no heavier than a std exhaust, just a little more bias to the front.
Ask a local circuit racer who is good in your area, they will know .
interesting. i thought it would be way heavier. either way. will weight it for kicks...

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - BLACKZOOK - 04-07-2007

1.5kg on the front will be WAY too hard mate. Do a search over on .org, there are a heap of big guys there with turbo's and most if not all swear by the 1.1kg springs. 1.2kg will be hard even with your fat arse on her.Pi_tongue

As I said mine is hard with 1.2kg and that is with turbo and twin fans fitted up front.

RE: to revalve or not to revalve? - Volvi - 04-07-2007

yea have never heard of doing 1.5 almost defeats the purpose of what suspension is all about. about 1.1 is the max Ive ever heard of and wud think its plenty, dont forget they are springs after all whilst u want firm u want springy too, but too firm defeats the whole purpose.