Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Polsihing Rims - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Hayabusa Tyres, Wheels & Suspension (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Polsihing Rims (/showthread.php?tid=7113)

Pages: 1 2 3

Polsihing Rims - Tag 13 - 14-05-2007

I am going to polish the machined section on my stock rims. what is the safest way to remove the stock paint from the rims?

RE: Polsihing Rims - RaZz0R - 14-05-2007

when you know let me know ;)

RE: Polsihing Rims - mybb - 14-05-2007

Paint stripper.
Sandpaper..

Not to many other options..

RE: Polsihing Rims - bandit - 14-05-2007

polished rims

Just dont get that shite on you.. It burns.. I was doing a car and drop some paint blobs with stripper on the ground, then knelt in it.. I went for the hose quiker than ive ever moved before.. it takes your skin just as easy as it does paint.. Its real messy..

RE: Polsihing Rims - 1hotbusa - 14-05-2007

Hi there,

Break the edge with 400gt paper between the cast and the machined edge of the rim nearest the spokes. After you have done this and you have a 10mm wide ring of polished aluminum, then go in with the paint stripper. The paint comes off quite quickly and easily, a quick scrape and a hose and it's all off. After that it it then down to elbow grease working your way up the various grades of sandpaper until you have the desired finish.

Simmo uses this stuff called "purple" on his bike, it's used by the truckies to shine up their bling, which they then show off by positioning it a metre off your arse. Beware, prolonged use of purple can turn your bike copper.

Otherwise you can use Mothers Aluminum Polish, dont waste your time with Autosol, the compound is not right for aluminum.

Good Luck, give yourself a day and you'll be pleased.

As per normal, you will get what you put into it.. Dont ignore the moving up in the grades of sandpaper.. The more effort you make there will have a huge difference on the end result.. Be lazy and you will see the scratches from the paper.

RE: Polsihing Rims - Tag 13 - 15-05-2007

cool. thanks for that,. i just wasnt sure if paint stripper would be suitable for the alloy...

RE: Polsihing Rims - Tag 13 - 16-05-2007

started doing em last nite. will post some pics when they are done. they should come up really nice... have to be patient with it though. it chews up some time...

RE: Polsihing Rims - mybb - 16-05-2007

make sureyou have water close by.. paint stripper deactivates with water.. just in case you get that crap somewhere you dont want it

RE: Polsihing Rims - Tag 13 - 16-05-2007

i have restored a couple of chargers and have used the shit before. its not much fun on your skin i know.

RE: Polsihing Rims - mybb - 16-05-2007

woohoo, i was doing chargers as well, hence the pain stripper

RE: Polsihing Rims - Pink Angel - 16-05-2007

Thanks for the step by step guide bandit

RE: Polsihing Rims - bandit - 16-05-2007

Pink Angel Wrote:Thanks for the step by step guide bandit

no worries Pinky
i just need to get a stand so i can do minePi_thumbsup

RE: Polsihing Rims - Tag 13 - 17-05-2007

mybb Wrote:woohoo, i was doing chargers as well, hence the pain stripper

do you still have any chargers?