Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Wind turbulance - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Technical Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Wind turbulance (/showthread.php?tid=15393)

Pages: 1 2

Wind turbulance - Aussie Steve - 17-07-2010

I took a ride today and on the hwy I noticed a subaru wrx coming up fast in my mirror.....needless to say I left him behind but whilst doing so my head was bounced up and down so severely I had to back off the speed. I tried to tuck down below the screen but this didn't help at all.

The buffeting was so bad I couldn't see what my speed was...180...about... and it affected my vision badly too. I suspect it has something to do with the screen...have done searches but cannot find any specific posts regarding this so am in need of help. The bike handled faultlessly so it isn't anything to do with the suspension setup.

Cheers guys

RE: Wind turbulance - Maj - 17-07-2010

Back pack or passenger ??
in a good tuck you can get pretty much right out of the wind ,

RE: Wind turbulance - Aussie Steve - 17-07-2010

(17-07-2010, 03:19pm)Maj Wrote: Back pack or passenger ??
in a good tuck you can get pretty much right out of the wind ,

No passenger or backpack. The screen fitted appears to be the original suzuki one and is a double bubble??? see pic

RE: Wind turbulance - Steve46 - 17-07-2010

Mate screen is stock OEM, double bubble will help especialy if your tall like me. I a have dark smoke zero gravity on my black gen2 looks sweet & does the job.

(17-07-2010, 05:57pm)Steve46 Wrote: Mate screen is stock OEM, double bubble will help especialy if your tall like me. I a have dark smoke zero gravity on my black gen2 looks sweet & does the job.

Thanks Steve I guess that is the way I will go esp as they are only 85 bucks!...Bugger just looked on the Aus site for ZG and they are $189. In this technological day I think I might just order it from yankland...they need the money!!

RE: Wind turbulance - Greeny_SA - 17-07-2010

(17-07-2010, 06:02pm)Aussie Steve Wrote:
(17-07-2010, 05:57pm)Steve46 Wrote: Mate screen is stock OEM, double bubble will help especialy if your tall like me. I a have dark smoke zero gravity on my black gen2 looks sweet & does the job.

Thanks Steve I guess that is the way I will go esp as they are only 85 bucks!...Bugger just looked on the Aus site for ZG and they are $189. In this technological day I think I might just order it from yankland...they need the money!!

I've got a Powerbronze double bubble & the Quality Is Unmatched by the others,You will find that in your normal riding position (not Tucked in ) ,With a stock screen the wind hits you in the chest,But with a double bubble the wind will hit you in the face & depending on your helmet May increase Wind noise .Some say that the wind in the chest Helps take weight off your wrists .I have no trouble getting completely out of the wind with either screen . I am only 5ft 11 though .

RE: Wind turbulance - evilRasp - 17-07-2010

(17-07-2010, 02:32pm)Aussie Steve Wrote: needless to say I left him behind but whilst doing so my head was bounced up and down so severely I had to back off the speed. I tried to tuck down below the screen but this didn't help at all.

The buffeting was so bad I couldn't see what my speed was...180...about... and it affected my vision badly too. I suspect it has something to do with the screen...

I'll place money on the screen having little to do with it. My bet is on your helmet, or it's fit. The only time I've ever had this happen to me was when I borrowed a helmet that wasn't a proper fit.

I'm 5 foot 10, and spent plenty of time on the track with the 'busa. It's definitely one of the less windy bikes when tucked in behind the screen.

You could be right ER. My helmet (RXT) has rear facing vents on top and a flaired ridge towards the lower back but it is a snug fit. I had the visor is down....didn't try it with it up maybe that would reduce the wind flow over the helmet. The wind seemed to be blasting then stopping in quick sucession...hard to explain but it caused my head to rapidly nod up and down to the extent I couldn't see my guages or the road clearly. I do know it wasn't the helmet moving on my head (too loose) Any Perth riders willing to go for a blast to get any idea's?

RE: Wind turbulance - Rainbow7 - 17-07-2010

I personally found the stock screen to be utterly useless. - I don't ride lying down and nor, I suspect, do most of the other members of this forum. I got a DB screen, which made an enormous difference in the comfort of my ride.
I couldn't even see the speedo with the stock screen on!

Nuff said guys I intend to get a powerbronze db as soon as poss just waiting for a centre stand. I should think suckzuki should do a recall on thes as they are dangerous at illegal speeds!!!not that I ever do that!!!

RE: Wind turbulance - Rainbow7 - 17-07-2010

(17-07-2010, 08:03pm)Aussie Steve Wrote: Nuff said guys I intend to get a powerbronze db as soon as poss
Try these guys: http://www.handcraftfibreglass.com.au/pages/home.aspx

I got my screen from them:

[Image: Bike11.jpg]

Thats one sweet Busa...same colour as mine but a bit more fruit...I looked the screen up and its in the ballpark $$ wise so in the very near future I will either have one of those or the Powerbronze.

RE: Wind turbulance - Busagen2 - 18-07-2010

(17-07-2010, 02:32pm)Aussie Steve Wrote: I took a ride today and on the hwy I noticed a subaru wrx coming up fast in my mirror.....needless to say I left him behind but whilst doing so my head was bounced up and down so severely I had to back off the speed. I tried to tuck down below the screen but this didn't help at all.

The buffeting was so bad I couldn't see what my speed was...180...about... and it affected my vision badly too. I suspect it has something to do with the screen...have done searches but cannot find any specific posts regarding this so am in need of help. The bike handled faultlessly so it isn't anything to do with the suspension setup.

Cheers guys

Hi Aussie Steve, I have the touring screen which suits me much better than the stock screen as I am 190 cm (6 ' 3 "). It puts the airflow just at the upper chest, the top of my shoulders and around the neck area but not around the helmet so it doesn't increase wind noise and there is minimal head buffeting. It's also great for tucking behind at high speed and with my forearms resting on my thighs it is quite comfortable although my neck gets a bit of a crick after a few minutes from arching up. A touring screen may be good for you if you are tall like me. Also, the wind conditions of the day can affect buffeting eg wind speed and the direction of travel. It could be that what you experienced was just as a result of a bad combination of factors on the day. (unless it is happening all the time at high speed ?). I live in Perth so if you PM me we could go for a ride and compare notes. Cheers, Busagen2.

RE: Wind turbulance - Aussie Steve - 18-07-2010

It only happened the once and at very high speed....(still within the speed limit officer!!!) I am wondering if it could be something to do with the jacket I wear. The arms tend to allow airflow to build up around the shoulders...I must resemble popeye. I am going for a spin with my gloves on this afternoon to see if it makes any difference.
Pm sent Busagen2

RE: Wind turbulance - Maj - 18-07-2010

Probably blows the back area up too , that could have a fair influence ..
why were you not wearing gloves ?? never had gravel rash on bitumen ??