Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment (/showthread.php?tid=12810)

Pages: 1 2

Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Avante - 17-07-2009

Well recently i purchased some aftermarket fairings from hong kong on ebay, they came to around 700 dollars including postage , which seems to be about the average price for them. Do yourself a favour and dont even consider it, the fairings where a poor fit and the paintwork not much better.

The rear tail light and headlight where basically impossible to get straight or in a decent position. The plastic is powdery and the headlight mounts are up to 10mm different in position when comparing the left hand ones to the right.

I had to completely butcher my rear tail light bracket and even after spending a long period of time on it still didnt get the rear tail light sitting correctly. Ill be removing the fairings and looking for other options to spruce up my bike and im currently still trying to get some money back from the supplier.

Whats the rough cost to get the originals repainted ?

Here are some photos just so you know what im on about and dont make the same mistake.

[Image: BottomRight.jpg]
[Image: Bottomleft.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0087.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0088.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0089.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0090.jpg]
2 more images i couldnt fit in the original post

[Image: topleft.jpg]
[Image: topright.jpg]

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - big kev - 17-07-2009

thats really unfortunate mate im very weary of what i purchase from over seas its a shame to see such poor workman ship and am sorry tou lost alot of money

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - 09Fatboy - 17-07-2009

Quote:What's the rough cost to get the originals repainted ?

$700 will get you a pro job with 2 pac , (tank and all panels) pearls and fancy finishes add more.

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Dubs - 17-07-2009

did you expect them to fit 100%?

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Avante - 17-07-2009

There is a difference between a not perfect fit and bloody no where near it

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Gnarbunkle99 - 17-07-2009

Same as my fairings dude, got the taillight straight but would have been easier bending up and drilling 3 pieces of aluminium. My headlight alignment is the same as yours, I plan on grinding down the posts because it needs to come out further on mine and elongating the headlight holes or making a bracing bracket. You get what you pay for, I think it said somewhere in the blurb that it would take a professional a full day to fit which is about right. Ive been at it for days but mostly I sit there looking at it and shake my head.

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - CarbonBusa - 17-07-2009

Yeah my carbon fairings were the same. Had to elongate tail light bracket to the max as well.
Also had to elongate the inner fairing panel holes & got it to fit but looks a bit untidy were they meet the nose cone infill & fidly as all Fcuk.

Also could not use orignal screws for the tail light bracket, infill & headlight posts etc as all the post were threaded so I got some nice 4mm (I think) button head bolts.
EDIT: If you do use different bolts on the posts, make sure they are not too long so they don’t put a hole in the fairing.

I'm Reasonably happy with them now though Biker

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - bioDog - 17-07-2009

Mate they are a lottery. Ive heard some good reports but mostly bad. Always check your options first.

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - NEMESIS - 18-07-2009

(17-07-2009, 03:34pm)99sydrd Wrote:
Quote:What's the rough cost to get the originals repainted ?

$700 will get you a pro job with 2 pac , (tank and all panels) pearls and fancy finishes add more.

Thats a good price when you think about it Pi_thumbsup

Who does it for that much???

"got the taillight straight but would have been easier bending up and drilling 3 pieces of aluminium"

Lol2
Sorry to laugh,but i think its time for you to build the 1st
set of metal fairings for a busa gnarbs Yes

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Volvi - 18-07-2009

well at that price which is the price of just ONE original panel, so as they say its cheap as chips and in the end thats exactly what one gets, you get what you pay for - cheap imitations. Bit like the Rolex and Omega watches from Thailand, if they pack up after 3 months the buyer doesnt whinge over them when he dumps it in the trash bin, coz after all he knows what he paid for.

PS. not implying you whinge, your understandbly dissapointed, but learned the hard way.

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Avante - 18-07-2009

The old saying you get what you pay for definantly fits the situation , hopefully my posts saves someone else from the same troubles though :)

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Maj - 18-07-2009

Anyone used the aussie supplier ?? probably a better chance of after sales service/changover on dodgy fit ??

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Gnarbunkle99 - 18-07-2009

I'll do em in magnesium nem, that way if I fall off again, ill go up in a brilliant flash!
At the moment I've got a set of varios panels on loan from Blackzook, they aren't perfect either, maybe they go out of shape after a while I'm not exactly sure, but factory fit and finish isn't perfect. These cheap imports use 4mm metric threads on posts which aren't the same as factory and the alignment isn't perfect, but if you are prepared to put in with the extra work require to get the alignment right, it's a very cost effective alternative to OEM replacements.

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - CarbonBusa - 18-07-2009

(18-07-2009, 11:32am)Gnarbunkle99 Wrote: I'll do em in magnesium nem, that way if I fall off again, ill go up in a brilliant flash!
At the moment I've got a set of varios panels on loan from Blackzook, they aren't perfect either, maybe they go out of shape after a while I'm not exactly sure, but factory fit and finish isn't perfect. These cheap imports use 4mm metric threads on posts which aren't the same as factory and the alignment isn't perfect, but if you are prepared to put in with the extra work require to get the alignment right, it's a very cost effective alternative to OEM replacements.

+1 Pi_thumbsup Yep just alot stuffing around but they eventually will fit reasonably well & you end up with more dollars in ya wally.

If you want a factory finish then use OEM Biker

Gnarbs how about making some out of good old Aussie Galvanized Iron then if ya need repalcements you can raid the neighbours roof Roll

Don't give up on them Avante, just perservere mate & make sure you get some nice buttonhead bolts for the posts & cut them to the correct length so they do not put a hole in the fairings. Mate it is a pity your not in SA cause I would get them suckers to fit no matter what Very Happy

RE: Aftermarket Fairings disapointment - Gnarbunkle99 - 19-07-2009

I can picture the gal look now, different like a WW2 German Transport Plane.