Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
rider to pillion intercom - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: rider to pillion intercom (/showthread.php?tid=11065)

Pages: 1 2

rider to pillion intercom - Ferg - 21-11-2008

Anyone have any experience with rider to pillion intercom units? I'm about to do a months touring with my other half and want to be able to communicate (i think?!?). Are the bluetooth ones any good and how do they work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Ferg

RE: rider to pillion intercom - simmo - 21-11-2008

Good luck can't help you, I ride so I don't have to communicate Coolsmiley

RE: rider to pillion intercom - Dan85 - 21-11-2008

silence is best mate dont ever let her tell you otherwiswe!

RE: rider to pillion intercom - Louwai - 21-11-2008

What ever you get, make sure it's NOT BlueAnt brand. Anything blueant is crap.

RE: rider to pillion intercom - 1hotbusa - 22-11-2008

Louwai Wrote:What ever you get, make sure it's NOT BlueAnt brand. Anything blueant is crap.

Hi there,

We have the Blueant communicator, and have found that paired with a mobile phone they are great. However for rider-pillion or bike to bike they are ok up to a point. Even with a full face helmet there is quite a bit of wind noise.

I think to get proper results you need to have a unit powered from the bike with cables to the helmet. If you are transmitting signals anywhere then you get interference and a crap battery life (2hrs)

RE: rider to pillion intercom - jzbusa - 22-11-2008

Ive got to say im disappointed with the blueant interphone. plenty of wind noise & you need a degree in astro physics to get them to talk to each other. They should have a simple one touch operation. The wind noise i can deal with as it cancels out after a while but the setting up is frustrating

RE: rider to pillion intercom - LOAFIE - 22-11-2008

Dick Smith sell a cheap but effective rider to passenger unit
http://search.dse.com.au/search?p=UK&srid=S2%2d1&lbc=dseau&ts=new&pw=rider%20intercom&pu=25060&uid=979704357&isort=score&w=Motorbike%20Communication&rk=1&sessionid=49271458128d1986273fc0a87e010680

RE: rider to pillion intercom - TYCHO - 22-11-2008

The best, clearest, most trusted method I have found, which is not affected by wind noise at ANY speed, is find some kind of cafe, pull up, get a coffee (or tea) and have a chat.

RE: rider to pillion intercom - busakid08 - 22-11-2008

TYCHO Wrote:The best, clearest, most trusted method I have found, which is not affected by wind noise at ANY speed, is find some kind of cafe, pull up, get a coffee (or tea) and have a chat.

Yep totally agree - ride with your mind in gear and wait until its time to chat - safer and more intersting

RE: rider to pillion intercom - MrsTony - 22-11-2008

Tony and I don't have one because if I say something he is likely to get a fright and crash. If I need to say something I usually wait until we are pulled up at the lights or something. I like stopping and having a talk with a cup of tea also.

RE: rider to pillion intercom - Louwai - 23-11-2008

jzbusa Wrote:Ive got to say im disappointed with the blueant interphone. plenty of wind noise & you need a degree in astro physics to get them to talk to each other. They should have a simple one touch operation. The wind noise i can deal with as it cancels out after a while but the setting up is frustrating

Couldn't agree more.
Over the past 5yrs I've had a number of BlueAnt items & ALL of them have stuffed up after a while.
3 x earpieces (2 of which BA replaced 4 times), SupertoothII, Fully fitted car unit which turns off radio etc.
BlueAnt is just a name put onto products which are actually manufactured by a company called Starz in Taiwan.
When I started having troubles I did some investigating.
In the past few yrs BlueAnt have had to recall something like 200,000 units of varying descriptions due to poor workmanship.
And that's not including what they've had to replace under warranty.

When I bought my new car the dealer put a BlueAnt system into it. I protested greatly & he said that they'd cover the unit under the 5yr warranty of the car. The BlueAnt unit lasted 18mths & the dealer had to replace it with something decent.

BlueAnt is crap!!!!!!!

RE: rider to pillion intercom - manny - 23-11-2008

Sorry if I write a full novel but I'll try answering all possible questions in 1 hit. Coffee

I've used the Starcom1 for a few years and recently upgraded to the Starcom1 Advance digital which is about half the size and heaps more features.

My main attraction is music as I like the heavy tunes crankin and saves my brain having the same song going through my mind for hours even if it a tune I don't like.Egyptian
I use an Ipod with a remote in an accessible place to skip through songs and more importantly lower the volume or pause when the road requires more concentration.

Bike to Bike using a 5 watt, Uniden Handheld UHF. It’s only good up to about 100k’s then the wind noise or reception makes it impossible to hear…Although up to about 160 you can still hear the truckies on channel 40 giving out road reports Police .. Has saved us $$$ on many occasions and probably paid for itself many times over!Trophy

Phone conversations at high speeds and the others wouldn’t even have guessed I was riding. I now have the Bluetooth phone adapter meaning I can leave the phone in my pocket and it auto connects when the starcom comes on. Using the Nokia 6110 navigator which gives voice directions. Music gets muted during voice directions.

Rider pillion can be heard clearly at high speeds depending on how much wind noise your helmet produces. It’s perfect when you’re about to hammer it you just say “hang on!”
Also good for meaningless dribble like,

Are you cold?
How’s your bum?
Hey, look at that….
Gonna have to stop for fuel soon
I need a pee…
I think I just shit my pants….

Not so good when you do a crazy overtaking manoeuvre and you hear a high pitched deafening squeal Scary ………. Can you not do that or I’ll have to unplug you!

The Starcom digital also has inputs for 2 Ipods so you can both listen to your own tunes.. I refuse to have Pink on my Ipod and she don’t like my heavy shit although that problem was solved before I upgraded to the digital by becoming single again.Party-smiley-018

Try riding with your favourite tunes and you’ll never look back. You can do some seriously long hours a day riding and it only feels like half.

Cheers, Manny

RE: rider to pillion intercom - 1hotbusa - 23-11-2008

A quick update,

I have just brought an Autocom unit at the bike show, saved a bit of money, and he will put the microphones and microphone into the helmets for me, just leaving me to worry about doing the bike. The unit will also do Ipod, mobile phone, and UHF

Best of all, two wires is all it connects to the bike with electrically, therefore it is easy to take with me. I'm going to wire it in while the rear cowl is off the bike.

RE: rider to pillion intercom - BUSGO - 23-11-2008

I suggest you put it somewhere you can get to it Graham.
My friends that have them need to access them sometimes.

RE: rider to pillion intercom - manny - 23-11-2008

1hotbusa Wrote:Best of all, two wires is all it connects to the bike with electrically, therefore it is easy to take with me. I'm going to wire it in while the rear cowl is off the bike.

Same here with my Starcom. I have all my goodies in a Rjays mini magnetic tank bag with a wire and plug so I can swap from bike to bike in 10 seconds. Both bikes have a power lead coming up between the seat and fuel tank.Action-smiley-083

As far as I know the Autocom and Starcom are very similar in quality and performance just the features may vary and I know for sure that the Autocom's helmet leads and plugs are much thicker that Starcom's