Salt Lake Racing - 2006
Back in March 2006 Shane and I went to Lake Gairdner to check out the Salt Racing which only happens once a year here in Australia. Unfortunately last years event was called off so hopefully the guys will get there this year.

We flew over and hired a car as we were only spectating to check it out.

Was a great experience watching all the guys on the Salt Dyno as they called it. Only one down side, trials didnt get under way for a couple of days due to a wet track and a problem with timing gear. If you are in to fast modified machinery well worth a look.

A few photos from our trip

Hire car on the 150klm Dirt Road to Camp, another 15 to the Salt.

[Image: Salt06006.jpg]

Each vehicle was required to have the dust blown off prior to driving on the Salt

[Image: Salt06015.jpg]

Mate Greg's Bike

[Image: Salt06103.jpg]

American Rider John Noonan, then current FIM Record Holder for a sit-on bike

[Image: Salt06128.jpg]

Greg with crew mate Kim, one of three women looking to getting into the 200MPH Club that year.

[Image: Salt06195.jpg]

View on the Line

[Image: Salt06251.jpg]
A couple of nice Suzuki GS's, one Turbo the other Supercharged

[Image: Salt06107.jpg]

[Image: Salt06118.jpg]

[Image: Salt06117.jpg]

[Image: Salt06110.jpg]

[Image: Salt06073.jpg]
Shayne
General Shots

[Image: Salt06070.jpg]

[Image: Salt06246.jpg]

[Image: Salt06172.jpg]

[Image: Salt06062.jpg]

[Image: Salt06065.jpg]
Shayne
When we left Greg on the Thursday he was contending with a clutch issue and so was Noonan we later found out.

[Image: Salt06258.jpg]

[Image: Salt06261.jpg]

If you would like to know more check out http://www.dlra.org.au/
Shayne
hell yeah id love to get out there one year looks like alot of fun! not surehow my heavy arse would go on an almost stock bike tho hahaha might get 160mph haha
Regards

Dan
I'd like to get out there one day for looksies, that salt seems to be doing terrible things to metal.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
Unreal.....Clap

Look how empty the backround is,i was gonna say id
walk around in my speedos for a laugh but someone else
beat me to it...

[attachment=2286]

An how fast did that supercharged gs go?

Top pictures!
I always wanted to put a monster tacho on a bike an
people said it would look stupid,i rekon they look mad,
glad to see one on the gs!Pi_thumbsup
Perhaps you would've seen a friend of mine Trevor Nielson back in 2006 from victoria

He had his twin turbo yellow CBX1000 with him and managed to get within I think less than 1 mph for a world record with it before running into mechanical problems.

I should listen more carefully as now I can't remember.

It was at last years Euroa show and shine which is a must see if you're in the area. Started it up and had a bit of a play on a closed off street next to the show. Sounded awesome but doesn't do U turns.

He's heading back out this year for another go with his mate Rolly.

Say hi if anyone sees them. The best kind of people.

Here goes my first attempt at a pic for you.

Tony

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yep saw Trevors bike pretty sure I have a pic of it somewhere!

Bugger about missing out by 1mph
Shayne
This years event at lake Gardiner has been indefinitely postponed due to the lake beds condition so that'll make it 2 years in a row. There's some talk of holding it later in the year.

I came across this link and if you hunt through there are pics of all the bikes and cars from various years at Lake Gardiner as well as some interesting write ups.

http://www.dlra.org.au/index.htm

Some awesome machinery and if you have the time an interesting site.

Tony
I have seen this one a few times..belongs to a Swiss gentleman who resides in WA

As far as missing out on a world record--he ran 125mphLol2...you'll need to check your facts...he's so far off it isnt funny.--running in the 1350 class

[Image: speedtrials2004-072.jpg]

and this is Phils other CBX on the salt
[Image: speedtrials2005-019.jpg]
id love an event like the maxton mile etc jsut gotta find an airstrip 2 mile long
Regards

Dan
Hey, how is it some of these bike's have no front brakes? WTF. Is it Fred Flintstone style.
arthur dunga Wrote:Hey, how is it some of these bike's have no front brakes? WTF. Is it Fred Flintstone style.

You dont need them out there.

to answer the other question about the GS...I think they managed 125mph also---or something like that..had alot tuning issues.
I keep coming back to this thread and thinking "I want to do". I've seen photos of Greg's bike in Brisbane Motorcycles as well. abusa, do you go to the meets at the Breakfast Creek hotel on Thursdays? I'd happily buy drinks in exchange for information on how to get started.