Hump lock mechanism help
G'day all,

Can someone please post up a pic of inside the genII hump / pillion seat showing the locking mechanism. I have stuffed too much crap in there & it has moved around, now I can't get it to unlock with the key. Just need to see how the mechanism works.

Cheers
Troy
Hold the phone - all is fixed. Continue with your lives people Lol3

Cheers
Troy
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Hey Troy,
I have just done it after reading your request.
It only took me two attempts but I had the benefit of having the hump off first to see how to do it.
I have taken a few photos and will post up in a little while of how to do it.
You will need a thin wire coat hanger to bend into the correct shape to allow you to access the lever.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Ok, here ya go!
What the mechanism looks like.

Firstly find a thin wire coathanger and straighten it out.
You need to mark a straight section at a point 16cm from the tip.
This is how far in the latch is from the point where it first engages onto the wire.

Without this mark on the wire you won't be able to tell if you have contacted the latch properly and could take quite a while to find it without being able to see.

There is a point on the right side of the bike where the wire will go in between the hump and the rear cowling without the need to lever the hump up.

Get you hands on the wire and manouver it through the gap and at an angle that you can see in the photo. You need to keep the wire on a flat angle so that the point of the wire goes straight to the latch.
If you jiggle the wire when it gets to the 16cm mark, you should here it making contact with the latch, it gives a bit of a rattle.
If the wire is in contact with the latch, you can push straight in with the wire and it moves the latch across. If you get it right, the hump just pops up.

Good luck. I have done it a couple of times now and it gets easier each time you attempt it once you get it right.

Of course for anyone with the hump unlocked, you can make the wire and practice a few times before testing with the hump locked on.
Regards BUSGO
Troy, I hope you don't have too much stuff under the seat to be able to get to it.
Regards BUSGO
(05-09-2009, 01:46pm)BUSGO Wrote: Troy, I hope you don't have too much stuff under the seat to be able to get to it.

Thanks Bugso, it's all sorted out now. I should have mentioned in my first post that I had the seat on - not the hump. The seat has a guard on it which prevents using the coat hanger / wire. Something to be mindful of, I may even cut this off now.

What had happened was that the zipper toggle on my digital camera case had moved between the latch mechanism & the cable preventing the latch from opening when I turned the key.
I just needed to push the camera case away to remove said obstruction. Easy said but trying to work it out at the time without being able to see was a challenge Knuppel2

Again Bugso, thanks for your continued help.

Cheers
Troy
Photobucket

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Ok so i tried this for about an hour (with the rear pillion seat on)
all i did was got really frustrated and scratched my bike :(

So i went for the alternative, swapped sides, jimmied the seat a little, made a small hook on the end of my wire, with a torch so i could see.
Slid the little hook inside the metal loop twisted so it hooked in. Removed my jimmy and then pulled the wire.
took me about 5 minutes max and was a helll of a lot easier. (for me)

saying that thanks busgo for the idea, just no good for me, or atleast not with a pillion seat on
Peregrine Falcon - Capable of slicing winds at over 300km/h
Hayabusa - Capable of carrying my arse to over 300km/h
Its ok Slade. Glad you got it off.
If you practice a couple of times with the seat off. I think you'll find it not too hard once you work out the angles.
I will test it with the seat instead of the hump and see if there is a difference.
Regards BUSGO
any lucck busgo?
Haven't had time yet mate.
Been a busy weekend. I'll give it a crack tonight.
Regards BUSGO
What you could do (ready for next time) is put a bit of wire/string on the latch & run it behind the blinker so if it happens again just pull the blinker out & pull the wire Pi_thumbsup
For those who have inadvertantly locked their seat on without reconnecting the cable release rather than the hump, you will need to approach with a slightly different style but the procedure is much the same.

The seat has a guard around the latch to prevent getting at it from the right side of the bike. That is why Slade was unsuccsessful with my hump removal method.
See this photo. It shows the moulded latch hider. Click for larger view.

To defeat this obstacle, you need a piece of wire marked at a 20cm point with a 90 degree hook on the business end.

With this wire you come from the left side of the bike at the same angle as for the hump removal.
Point the hook end of the wire to the latch at the 20cm mark and wiggle it about. You clearly hear the latch rattle if you are in the correct location.
Once at that point simply push the hook around the latch and it will catch on the latch from the far side. Once it is hooked, simply pull back on the wire if you feel the spring loaded latch.
It will pop the seat up if you are hooked successfully.
Here is a photo of the hook wire that I made out of a coat hanger.
Remember to mark the wire at a point 20cm from the hook so you know how far in to poke it from the edge of the seat.

This procedure will enable access to the underside of a locked seat or hump. I would recommend not relying on that space for anything of real value and I only offer this solution as an emergency access process for owners who need to remove the hump or seat.

Simmo's pre emptive solution may be a better way for those who have the forthought to prepare for such a situation.
Regards BUSGO
Thnaks busgo, the alternative is the way I got it to work with the seat and was defiently quick and easy

as for prethought, Im sure after I have done it once i should of leartn my lesson :)